STILL no babies..

Discussion in 'Goats' started by cjb, May 18, 2006.

1. cjb

cjb Well-Known Member Supporter

Our doe, that we were CONVINCED was in labor last weekend, still has not delivered.

Poor girl. When she lays down, her vulva is bulging and she groans. She's not straining and I don't see contractions. Plus, if you offer her food - she gets right up and goes after it. So, I don't think she is in distress. The very latest she can be due is next week so she better go soon! Her bag is now big and shiny but still nothing coming our her rear in terms of discharge,other then just a bit of clear stuff - not enough to drip.

I called the local goat expert out here that did my dehorning and whethering last year. She said she would come to a pelvic exam tonight at 5:30 if she hasn't delivered. I haven't done it and really need to learn but would rather have the pro do it and show me how. Am I a coward - yes! Plus, I'm a man so I have biggish hands. I'm sure Carmel will appreciate a smaller hand....

Anyway - pray that babies are ok. Will be really traumatic if she hasn't delivered because there's a problem. :(

2. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

It sounds to me that your doe is doing just like mine did this year. I had two LaMancha does that were so huge and miserable that they laid around and groaned for quite some time, days and days, before they delivered. They bulged open out the back, opened up when they layed down too. They were HUGE! Each of my does gave me a set of triplets. last year each gave me a set of twins. So i was really tickled. With your doe getting a shiney udder, her time is near. With her getting up to eat, she sounds like she is fine. Be careful about the pelvic exam that no germs are introduced. I would imagine that your doe is just very uncomfortable. i spent many hours worrying about my does too, i always do. I always have to assist the birth of the one doe, as she is smallish and has to have help with the kids coming out while the larger doe just plops them out. That is why i wanted to be present and that is why I always know the exact due dates. But even so, the does may be several days off and you do have to watch them. But if you know your goats you will know when the labor is for real. The tail will be held at a different angle and the goat will "call her babies" before they are born. A large bubble will appear. Every doe is a bit different though. Some can have them very rapidly if they are "built for birth" and just plop them out. You are doing great. :)

3. cjb

cjb Well-Known Member Supporter

Thanks for the reassurance. I go between worrying and being totally fine, assuming that she's just working up to her time. This lady raises tons of Oberhaslis and our does are out of one of her bucks. She said that she's very careful about cleaning up before checking etc.

She did say that if she feels babies and the doe is dialated, she will just pull them, which kind of surprised me. If she's capable, I would prefer she just go on her own. But she said that all her grunting and changing positions could be an indication that she's just trying to position them correctly and then might be too tired to deliver.

Last year, she was totally fine and delivered very quickly but only had one. So... I bet this is twins or triplets! She's literally twice the size she was last year. I referenced pictures and was shocked at the difference.

4. ChickenMom

ChickenMom Well-Known Member

Must be going around. We have a doe that was given to us and we don't know the due date. We thought she was ready a month ago! She has lost her ligs, has a huge utter (and this is her first time), has had discharge on and off. She just won't have the kid. She still eats fine that never has changed. I think it is worse because this is our first time and we are so anxious. Everyone had bets on when she would have it and all those dates have passed already! LOL I think she's faking...