Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today one of the former Members of our Church let it be known he seen our Pastor smoking.Which I doubt :shrug: But the same person was spreading it around that our Pastors DW was weaing Pants.

I would hate to have everyone worrying so much about everything I did.

big rockpile

·
Enjoying Four Seasons
3,107 Posts
Is smoking or wearing pants a crime? :shrug:

Please forgive me ~ I don't follow organized religion...but can pants or smoking be that big of deal when there are issues around the Earth that require our immediate attention?

·
Registered
875 Posts
Jesus doesn't mind what you wear and I'm pretty sure He could forgive smoking tobacco.... Some folks need to get their own house in order before they criticize others.....

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Sounds like some whining from a "Former Member"...I'd consider the source.

If smoking and wearing pants are not acceptable to your church, you should do the Biblical thing and inform the Pastor and then both of you go visit the offending manure spreader.

Take a notebook along and ask him to write down what he saw and when and where. Then ask him to sign his name and inform him that the church will take appropriate action.

I'd bet (if I was a betting man) that he'd refuse to do it. At that point, you can tell him that since he refuses to put his name to it as an eye-witness, the church will consider the matter closed.

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Boleyz said:
Sounds like some whining from a "Former Member"...I'd consider the source.

If smoking and wearing pants are not acceptable to your church, you should do the Biblical thing and inform the Pastor and then both of you go visit the offending manure spreader.

Take a notebook along and ask him to write down what he saw and when and where. Then ask him to sign his name and inform him that the church will take appropriate action.

I'd bet (if I was a betting man) that he'd refuse to do it. At that point, you can tell him that since he refuses to put his name to it as an eye-witness, the church will consider the matter closed.
Sounds like a plan! :shrug:

big rockpile

·
Premium Member
1,812 Posts
goodness dont you'd think people would have more important things to do with their time..*sigh* the joys of being in ministry...I think sometimes just as a learning experience every church member should either have to spend a week as a pastor or live at the pastors house and follow them around for a week...
~C~

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Beltane said:
Is smoking or wearing pants a crime? :shrug:

Please forgive me ~ I don't follow organized religion...but can pants or smoking be that big of deal when there are issues around the Earth that require our immediate attention?
Well what do you expect if the Church says you can't go Bowling because the serve Beer at the Bowling Alley. :shrug:

big rockpile

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Sounds like the Baptist church we used to attend. They always emphasized your outward appearances. Never considered that the Lord looks at the heart. He doesn't care if you wear pants or not as long as your heart is right with Him. The church we left was very legalistic and they don't even see it.

Ken in Glassboro, NJ :)

·
Registered
5,499 Posts
Former member eh? I'd have to say the Pastor must be glad he's a "former" member! Sounds like the guy is hellbent on doing whatever he can to cause grief for him.

Next time he has something derogatory to say about your minister, remind him where Jesus said to the crowd - let those of you without sin, cast the first stone.

·
Registered
920 Posts
I had to laugh when I read this because years ago we had a pastor who was a young man with a young pretty wife and 3 cute adorable children. He worked wonders in our church and was doing great with starting a new youth group, adding new music to the services and was generally really well liked. Until the day when his wife was seen in the local post office and grocery store wearing a denim coat!! That and the fact that someone had seen their garage door open - they were asked to leave the church. Seriously!! We had some older gentleman who were decons at that time who were ready to practically burn this woman at the stake for wearing that coat and slacks in public and then the thing with the garage door - well their fate was sealed and they were gone with in two weeks. I remember my mom and dad going and helping this family pack and mom crying and telling pastor and his wife - "we will be praying for you" and pastor shaking his head and saying -" we will be praying extra for you. After all you are the ones that are still stuck here."

·
Registered
647 Posts
BR here is a verse that probably will let you know what is going on in the former memebers heart.. but the seventh one is what is an abomination.
Proverbs 6:16-19 These six things doth the LORD hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him: A proud look, a lying tongue and hands that shed innocent blood, An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief, A false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren.

I picked these verses because they are what many disgruntaled people are like

dale

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
BR, it sounds like a strict penetacost church you belong to.

I went to one when I was a kid and although they had their hearts with the Lord, I just couldn't figure out why they couldn't wear makeup, pants, couldn't cut their hair, wasn't supposed to have a tv. When asked they would quote you a scripture in the bible they went by pertaining to these. Myself, I just couldn't conform to their beliefs except for believing in the Lord.

·
Halfway, OR & Wagoner, OK
3,306 Posts
I'm a Catholic--we don't have a vote on the priest. It makes for a more orderly congregation. ...like it was in the Bible. (by the way)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts