Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
RF in Western Mtns.of ME
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mature homesteader on sweet mini-farm in xclnt location of the 'outback of Maine' still tired of doing everything alone.
Not bad shape for older dude, but still particular who I'd be interested in and pathetically shy in person w/women.
Hardly any appropriate women anywhere near me too, so it's been dry sledding in the dating department .
We are in a sneaky, quiet 3rd WW, and hard, dangerous times are right around the corner.
Don't want to go though it alone and alone isn't going to be safe .

·
Registered
907 Posts
Mature homesteader on sweet mini-farm in xclnt location of the 'outback of Maine' still tired of doing everything alone.
Not bad shape for older dude, but still particular who I'd be interested in and pathetically shy in person w/women.
Hardly any appropriate women anywhere near me too, so it's been dry sledding in the dating department .
We are in a sneaky, quiet 3rd WW, and hard, dangerous times are right around the corner.
If I were better off (my back) I'd be up there in a second. The area Rick lives in is absolutely drop dead beautiful!! Very cold but great summers. Rick is a nice guy, seems to have his head on straight. If anyone is seriously looking, go for it.

·
Premium Member
3,941 Posts
Gal told me once, "Just beware of those church ladies that show up at your front door carrying a casserole."

geo
I made dinner for my ex on our 3rd date. Even at 19 I was a good cook. He says he can't decide if the marriage hook was in the pan fried chicken, drippins gravy, mashed potatoes, corn, homemade rolls or homemade apple pie....but he's sure that he heard wedding bells sometime during that meal 😁

·
Premium Member
3,941 Posts
yes indeed Rick is a nice guy! it's too bad he can't find someone compatible. there have been some lovely women here though since he started looking but he needs someone who can uproot and go where he is. most though of his age or close have their own place by now and want to stay put. ~Georgia
This is precisely where I'm at. God has made it pretty clear that I'm going to stay here or at least use it as my primary address 😉. I suppose I'll be here full time since I'm building pens for animals and have a chick order placed.
That and....Maine 🥶🥶. This Texas girl doesn't like four letter words like snow and cold. They have those made up numbers with a minus sign in front of them there 😳

·
Premium Member
3,941 Posts
I agree! On so many levels I feel this!
Alone is definitely a disadvantage.
I sincerely hope you find someone! I really admire your spirit, that you keep putting yourself out there. That takes bravery.

I'm in a weird position. There is something about me that makes people want to take advantage of me. It happens so consistently that it's got to be me. I'm the common denominator.
I have an absolutely beautiful amazing ranch here but I don't dare let anyone live on it with me. I can't really do anything with it. I really don't actively use more than an acre. The rest is buffer. Just the 25 fenced acres that my house sits on would support several families. Beautiful sandy loam soil with clay about 3 feet down. Ideal for gardening. Wonderful bee habitat. I've had several hundred hives here at different times. Sigh.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Be careful. Users can smell a person in need. I have a nephew who seems to always end up with a woman who has no money, no place to live, so of course she jumps at the chance to "move in" with a man with a home/land and income. He eventually realizes he's being used when they find a better deal (he's a complete slob in the house) and move on to the next guy. What you need is a woman with her own resources who is also lonely and looking for someone to share her life but then she's not going to want to leave her house. Your best bet is going to be finding someone local but if you are in a rural area that's not always easy. Contact your local master gardeners or some gardening society (look for some groups on facebook) and you'll find all sorts of bored retired/windowed ladies who obviously enjoy working outside. They usually post on Facebook when they have their next work day and ask for volunteers to bring racks and come help. Heck, I think the local parks do the same thing when they clean the trails. Spend a day pulling weeds with them come spring and see who's fun and makes you smile. That way you don't feel pressured into "flirting" or feeling awkward. Most men don't know this but women pick the men, not the other way around, and once they see your kind sweet disposition, they will do the pursuing! .

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
Be careful. Users can smell a person in need
Being needy has been said before in reply to your threads. Find a group activity that you enjoy - doesn't have to be what you love - like is good enough. Just get out to mingle with people. Get out of your comfort zone, drop expectations (they're a killer). Focus on overcoming your shyness rather than looking for the "woman for you". The more you expose yourself to these activities, the more comfortable you'll become.

Miss Kay is right.

·
Premium Member
3,941 Posts
Rick......find a Church.....start going and before you know it.....boom you'll have a girlfriend.

HK
This is good advice.

The advice to get out and join activities is good too but I know for myself it probably wouldn't happen. It's just so awkward! Plus I'd rather stay home.

Hmmm that may be an idea. Lot's of folks getting into homesteading now. Homesteading lessons are popular! Figure out something you want to teach and advertise classes! Be sure and charge something for the classes so that folks will show up.
I don't know why but if you don't charge, people won't show up.
When I was able to keep bees full time I sold bees. Usually I was selling them to new beekeepers. So I taught a beginners class on the day of the week that everyone came to pick up their bees.
Fortunately my place is big enough that there is road access on the back side and I was able to give lessons at one of my bee yards rather than near my house. Which is a concern for a woman but not necessarily for you.
Rick you have a tremendous advantage over me. Men wouldn't get a hint of 'I'm available' unless I bludgeoned them over the head with it. Women pick it up almost immediately when a man is available. You don't even really need to try and get single women to attend. Married women want their single friends to be married too. Especially at our age..... it's just awkward. So once word gets out that you are available and not a weirdo, you will have single women signing up for the next class or finding some way to make your acquaintance. Matter of fact.....create an opportunity for them to make your acquaintance. Something like.....make sure everyone has your contact information in case they have questions, perhaps offer a product for sale from the farm. Just something that would give a gal a polite excuse to say hi. Also, be encouraged if married women kind if feel you out first.....my friends would definitely check someone out for me.
Remember that women pick up hints. Don't come right out and say that you're looking. Say something like, yes this is a big place and it sure would be easier if it wasn't just me. Actually get the other gals on here to help you with the wording. I don't understand how most women think. Though I'm a woman I apparently think more like a man does.

I first really began to understand this when I went to a womens bible study. The gal up front speaking was talking about how she needs Jesus all the time! In the morning she needs Jesus to help her pick out what clothes she was going to wear for that day. I glanced around the room and saw women smiling and nodding. I had to leave!

·
RF in Western Mtns.of ME
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This is precisely where I'm at. God has made it pretty clear that I'm going to stay here or at least use it as my primary address 😉. I suppose I'll be here full time since I'm building pens for animals and have a chick order placed.
That and....Maine 🥶🥶. This Texas girl doesn't like four letter words like snow and cold. They have those made up numbers with a minus sign in front of them there 😳
17 million acres of forest to stay warm ! No AC needed here when the grid goes down !

·
RF in Western Mtns.of ME
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Rick......find a Church.....start going and before you know it.....boom you'll have a girlfriend.

HK
Believe me I have thought of playing that card, but everyone is sooo bought into the 'Common Wisdom', and our dumbed-down Culture, and I know stuff about Jesus and the Bible that would have church ppl crucifying me because it is hard for me to keep my mouth shut !

·
Premium Member
3,941 Posts
Believe me I have thought of playing that card, but everyone is sooo bought into the 'Common Wisdom', and our dumbed-down Culture, and I know stuff about Jesus and the Bible that would have church ppl crucifying me because it is hard for me to keep my mouth shut !
I am rather non standard as well. I was called to observe the Torah earlier this year. Talk about no longer fitting in in the bible belt!
'Yer goin campin fer a week for Jesus' birthday? But that's Christmas!'

1 - 20 of 30 Posts