still looking for good pasture hogs

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by bob clark, Dec 1, 2005.

1. bob clark

bob clark A man's man

2. WanderingOak

WanderingOak Well-Known Member

Why are you asking in GC, and not the Pigs forum?

3. bob clark

bob clark A man's man

4. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

I raise pastured potbellies. to go into all the detail why is easier if you read my homepage (www.windridgefarm.us). Good foragers, easy to handle, cheaper to transport, butchering is easy without paying a processor, very efficient. but smaller cuts.

5. djuhnke

djuhnke Well-Known Member

Tamworths for pastured pigs. You could fence them off in a orest and come back a few months later (in fall) and they would go from piglets to finished(depending on forage). I did corn & soybean meal (600lbs/150lbs per agmans advice) and they turned out great. Make sure you have hearty fencing (2-3 strands hot wire) and water and you are good to go.

Dan

6. highlands

highlands Well-Known Member

We have Yorkshire (Large White) pigs and they get almost all of their feed from pasture. Some years we have done over 95% of their feed just from the pasture and then hay in the winter. May through November they are out in the fields. They are just now settling in to their winter quarters, our garden corrals, with lots of hay.

I suspect that many breeds will do fine on pasture. The big issue is not getting culls from the big commercial confinement breeders who are aiming for a different kind of genetics.