Still gardening Technically

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by mpillow, Nov 11, 2005.

1. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

I still have carrots and beets in the ground in Central Maine.....a very late frost and only lately temps in the 20's at night....Kale and cabbage too!

Its nice to still be playing in the dirt in November ;)

2. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

I'm still gardening in northeastern Maine. I've never had so much growing this late in the year. It's growing out in the open, not in the hoop house. Yesterday I harvested red cabbage, broccoli side shoots, kale, rutabaga, purple top white globe turnip, purple kohlrabi, parsley, carrots, beets, brussels sprouts and Swiss chard. There's more of all of those out there waiting to be picked again, but I'm getting really tired of it now that it's muddy.

3. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

Its muddy here too....for months now it seems.....my apples are huge though with all the rain despite a sort of dry summer....feeding all the missed cukes and tomatoes to the chickens, they'll eat almost anything I think. :eek:

4. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

Here in the Midwest (NorthEastern IL) the weather is still relatively BALMY! Temps today near 60. It's supposed to rain this afternoon, and though it's cloudy, we're not seeing the downpour the weather service threatened.

This is such a blessing! I have an absolute disgust with/for Winter. Maybe the Lord knew I couldn't handle a miserable Autumn at this point? No matter. We used the opportunity to cover the raised beds with leaves, we burned the detritis from the garden, moved the compost around, and shifted my potting operations into the spare bedroom.

Oh, how I love gardening!!!!!

Pony!

5. hisenthlay

hisenthlay a.k.a. hyzenthlay

It's been so warm here, too. I still have bell peppers, tomatoes, strawberries, and raspberries trickling in. Some carrots are still in the ground. My lettuce looks great (eating lots of salads lately), and I'm still picking parsley, cilantro, mints, sage, lemongrass, rosemary, and thyme from outside. The roses and nasturtiums are still blooming, too! My basil all died, though. This is my first year with a real garden (or the best I can do on my tiny space, at least), and I think I'm being spoiled.

Weather's supposed to turn cold later this week--I'm thinking about bringing all my potted things inside and seeing how long I can keep them going under lamps/some natural light in the basement.

6. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

I'm done. With snow in the forecast for this afternoon I let the goats out into the garden this morning.