Still another composting question: What all paper products can you throw in the bin?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by r.h. in okla., Sep 7, 2005.

1. First of all I want to thank all those who have been very helpful while teaching me how to compost. One of these days I might know what I am doing!

So, I've heard that you can throw certain paper products in the composter but you can't throw every paper product in the composter due to the chemical ink compounds used. So just what all paper products could I use?

2. Ann Mary

Ann Mary Well-Known Member Supporter

those paper egg cartons that you don't need for your own eggs are great in the compost! It helps if you soak them in water first and then tear up to add. Any of the newspaper except the colored pages are good too. It's the colored ink that you don't want -especially on the glossy pages. Toilet paper tubes are good too.

3. Mid Tn Mama

Mid Tn Mama Well-Known Member Supporter

I throw everything but shiny paper on the compost pile for veggie garden. Shiny stuff goes in the flower gardens. Cardboard packaging is use in the garden walkways.

4. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

I understand the majority of newspapers use soy-based ink anymore so I use all newspapers except the colored section. Also can get unlimited amts. shredded paper at work; actually tiny squares so it really breaks down fast. First time we found a copperhead under the cardboard we put in the garden pathways we gave that up :( ...got 6 loads of shredded stuff when the electric company tree trimming crew was on our road the last two weeks and will stick with that for safety sakes. DEE