Still A Homesteader in the Real Sence?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by big rockpile, Mar 31, 2005.

1. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Ok with Homesteading I figure I need Animals.But I got rid of all my Animals and go with Wild Game and Fish.

This is the way my day went,now take in to consideration I can only work little at a time.And would you still consider me a Homesteader?

Got up 4:00 AM,let Dogs out,let Cat in.Build up fire.Get dressed,eat Breakfast.Read Bible.5:30AM go out work in Garden,listen for Turkeys,get ready for season in two weeks.Come in take break,make Bread Dough.Eat lunch,read Bible.Bake Bread.Go down to the creek set out Minnow Trap.Come back to the house,work some more in Garden.Cook Supper.Now I'm just kicking getting ready to go Fishing in the Morning.Full day and I'm paying for it.

big rockpile

2. stormwalker

stormwalker Well-Known Member

Are you braggin'? Or do you just want to make us jealous?!?!?!?!

3. patarini

patarini Well-Known Member

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

4. Cindy in KY

Cindy in KY Well-Known Member

Sounds more like Grizzly Adams than a dirt diggin homesteader. :D

It's dark here at 5:30am! How can you see to work in the garden? Does your bear hold the flashlight? :D

5. Not a bad day if you ask me. I got up got my girls up and ready to catch the school bus. Then I cooked breakfast for me and the youngest girl. Then we visisted this computer for about 30 minutes while we ate. Then went out and tilled some more garden area up. Then drove 25 miles to the county seat and do some official business. Came back and planted 2 rows of green peas, 1 row of onion sets. Then picked up two girls from the boys and girl club. Came home, called wife to pick up pizza on the way home. Then ate supper. Now I'm back on this computer once again.

6. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

Not so patiently waiting for snow to be gone and goats to have babies. Almost time to start seedlings....its been a long boring winter...Fishing season is now open but the water isnt...it costs $33 to shoot Turkey in Maine if you get picked in the lottery....I see them every morning and afternoon on the bus but i buy them for 59 cents a pound on sale.

Saw a nice "v" of Canadian geese this morning while on the bus and some big whitetail deer.

BR How bout breeding some rabbits and chickens? Fairly low maintenance beasties and good poop for the garden?

Maybe Sancraft can get you a goat or two?

Happy Spring! (at least where you live!)

7. big rockpile

I'm thinking about getting Rabbits again.Chickens I get all my Fresh Eggs for free.

I love Goats but they do take up a lot of time.And I'm converting my property to look good for Wildlife.

Now maybe you guys are wondering why I'm not Fishing.Its pouring Rain and Wind blowing.But the Lord knows I need the rest and my Garden needs the water.Thank you Father.

big rockpile

8. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

rockpile, hon, having met you at the campout, and tasted them wonderfull maters you grow ( still have some in the freezer) i think youre examining too much what you do , not what you think
    you try to be independant as you are physically able to , correct?
    you dont rely on off farm sources for your happiness , do you ?
    its raining here south of you too , and supposed to all day , guess its time to clean house,
    and then the only other progect we have is to build nesting boxes for the rabbits, we will do that on the porch i was gonna get more maters out in our garden , but with the rain , the ground is too wet, plus i have to go to town today and take care of bills , etc.
    so that kills a good portion of my morn.
    and thrusday night is when the discount food store gets a new load , so this monring means hitting the scratch and dent sale ( dont laugh i come home with 6 grocery bags for less than 20.00)
    Beth

9. wy0mn

wy0mn Transplanted RedNeck

Heck yeah I'm jealous.
    Maybe one of the Commandments should have read "Thou shalt not covet thy neighbors life..."
    I'm still working toward getting my dream but heres MY typical day.
    3PM-Get up and start coffee, start dinner if I know the wife will be late, perform house/yardwork/laundry. Perhaps read, or mesh with the WEB a bit if most of this is caught up.
    5-7PM- Have dinner with my wife, wash dishes, take a walk, share dreams, etc.

8PM-8AM- Factory slave. Walking on concrete, breathing plastic fumes, getting static shocks, avoiding accidents from poorly maintained unsafe machinery, etc, for $8.50 per hour.
    8-9AM-Shower, breakfast, repeat...

Rockpile, wing a prayer our way. Please?

10. big rockpile

You got them!!

I've worked so many years long hours,I'm talking 10 - 18 hours a day 7 days a week.Good money but thinking back on it,it is truely not worth it.

Beth trying to cut back on Garden this year.I really think it will be for the best as far as proper care,with less work.Just won't have a lot of extra to share.

Always trying to figure out how to have mine and my wifes needs taken care of without depending on the outside world,just us and the Lord.

big rockpile

11. Thumper/inOkla.

Thumper/inOkla. Well-Known Member

Ahhh,....yes yes yes, looking forward to the days when the bills are paid off!!!

12. joe1968m

joe1968m social invalid

o.k. how about have alarm go off 4:30 am
    reset alarm to 5 am
    rush thru shower and little morning chores
    spend 45-50 minutes commuting to work
    work 11-12 hour days with the usual stressful (sometimes unrealistic...always
    complaining) coworkers
    spend 50-90 minutes commuting home
    come home to materialistic packrat cat-loving girlfriend
    with hi-point of possibly doing some reading and checking out my new favorite
    website and dreaming
    oh yeah- living in inner city philadelphia
    and no-one to blame but myself
    sorry... helped to vent :bash:

13. quadrants2

quadrants2 Well-Known Member Supporter

venting is good...understand the materialistic girlfriend thing,but whats wrong wih loving cats? lol been in your shoes ..nobody can take your dreams..you'll get there...