Stihl trimmer starting problem.

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by jms1967, Aug 15, 2004.

1. jms1967

jms1967 New Member

I'm having difficulty starting my Stihl FS80. When I do get it started, I have to keep the throttle engaged so as not to stall. I changed the spark plug, felt pad, fuel filter and foam. I have at least 70 hours on the machine and has worked very well up until now. Any suggestions?

2. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

I think you need a carb kit. Its number is RB-66.
    From this site http://m-and-d.com/search.html?id=UxVS9wuu I have gotten good service and the prices are reasonable. Their part number for the RB-66 is ST-615-086

3. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Did you try changing the gas? Lately I'd have to say gasoline around here has dropped in quality, and I've been using ethenol blends more. Could be my machines are just getting a little older too!

4. joan from zone six

joan from zone six Well-Known Member

maybe you've developed enough friction/drag in the shaft so that torgue produced at dead idle is insufficient - the little engine might simply be stalling

5. babybison

babybison New Member

Take the muffler off and take the spark arrester out (looks like a screen). they plug with oil and makes your trimmer not run. Used to work for a Stihl dealer and we would sell these high priced pieces of equiptment and nail them with a break in adjustment fee when the screen would plug up (not my idea though).

Try it it might work.

6. cowman

cowman Well-Known Member

The muffler is probably stopped up. If you don't run the trimmer wide open then it will stop up over time.