Stihl Chainsaws

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by desdawg, Jan 23, 2005.

1. desdawg

desdawg Well-Known Member

After passing on Stihls for a long time because of the price I finally nailed an old 011AVT on E-bay on the cheap. When it arrived I put on the bar and chain and fired her up. Sounded like a Harley. It was almost orgasmic. I put it in the firewood pile and it was like a hot knife in butter. I was impressed. So now I am thinking about a second Stihl, a bit larger.
    I read somewhere that the Stihl numbering system had odd numbers for pro saws and even numbers for homeowner models. 028 homeowner, 029 professional version. Or was it the other way around? I have a good memory but it is real short. Those three minutes of good solid memory are like gold!
    Also wondering which size would be best with a 20" bar? And I have been hearing that the newer Stihls aren't what the older ones were. So maybe back to E-bay for an older saw that doesn't have MS? I am seeking some experienced opinions.

2. Steve in Ohio

Steve in Ohio Well-Known Member

I have 3 Stihls,an 024 with 18in.bar,018 with 14in. bar and a MS250 with a 16in. bar.Just got the MS250 back in Oct. so we will see how that one lasts.As for the 024 I bought that one in 90 or 91 and the only problem with it was that stupid screen in the muffler plugged up,and I cut lots of wood.........for myself and to sell.But unless I working on something big I use the 018,its light and still has a good amount of power.On the 018 the first thing I did was replace the bar and chain with a .325 chain,this makes a big difference in how this cuts in the bigger stuff,plus it builds more RPM now.
    I deal with Baileys for all my chains and stuff.Had really good results with the Woodsman chains.Plus when you place an order these guys know the product line well,not just some meat-head that don't know a chain from a windshield wiper............BTW I placed an order on the 18th and it was here on the 20th..........

3. desdawg

desdawg Well-Known Member

Hi Steve. I get the Baileys catalog but I haven't ordered anything from them yet. I was planning to order a ripping chain for my Husky 394 and getting my Alaskan mill together before I go back to the mountains in the spring.
    The 011 has a 16" bar and chain & like I said it impressed me. Powerful little saw. I am just not familiar with all of the model #'s Stihl has used over the years and I have heard some grumbling about the newer saws, non adjustable carbs, etc. I don't make my living with a chainsaw but I would like to get the best I can for the $ spent. And the Stihls are pretty pricey.

4. idontno

idontno Well-Known Member

Steve .........I got 2 both are .031.Stick to the odd numbers.On I bought 1 new 25 years ago.It has cut about 2-3 cords a year.NEVER done nothing to it other that a bar and a chain every now and then. My other was bought off Ebay 4 years ago.Still runs like a Stil.......They both are alike and both have 20 in. bars.More power than U need.Stay with a longer bar....runs cooler and wears less.....ANd U can cut BIG trees down with it. Clean air cleaner.I mix mine 36 to 1.Stil says 40 to 1 on gas mix(Stil 2 cycle oil only).Run a good bar oil...( not motor oil)and keep it oiling good all the time.Hand sharpin (2-3 stroke on each tooth)it every other tank of gas.ALso did mention clean air cleaner good.If you can stay with a older saw (15-20 years old) they will be better saw than the newer ones.Parts can stll be bought for the older ones.Mine start on the 2nd pull and have for 20 so years..Love mine .....idontno...

5. Blu3duk

Blu3duk Well-Known Member

I run a model 044 when they came out and replaced the 046 [ ibelieve in 1991] but wasnt impressed with the "E" clip used to keep the drive spocket on the the clutch..... i lost one while limbing in some heavy brush... took an hour to find the blasted bugger.... then went and got a few spares iin case it happened again.....

The 44 is the smallest of the stils i would use for the alaska mill in logs of any size, If i could find and OLD saw i would be looking for an 056 or a 090. the bigger saws like the 90 is probably the largest power saw availabe and was designed to pull a bar of 8 feet in those big ole kaliforny redwoods and big oregon doug fir, however it takes two men and boy to pack it around for the day.

I cut beside a fella in a wood pile who had a 056, and my 288 husky sawed twice what his did..... but mine was probably sharper and ive sawn a few years [started at 10 logging with my dad with a little ole mcculloch 610 cut my leg at 16 with a model 710 which still hangs out in the barn].

dad runs a little old stihl he picked up at a yard sale with a 20 inch bar mode 028, and he has had a 031 that finally bit the dust after several hard years of cutting.... but i stick with the larger saws for sawing out lumber.... know a fella who wore out a couple of them with his alaska mill... heard of a couple more that didnt wear theirs out... dont know how those saws were treated or what type of lumber was cut either.

William

6. Darren

Darren Still an :censored:

"... I have been hearing that the newer Stihls aren't what the older ones were." Both my neighbor and I've experienced that. He bought a new Stihl last year and took it back the next day. I have an old 066 with a 24" bar that has never had a problem. In fact I misplaced it for about two years. This past summer I found it under a tarp in the pole barn. It fired up with three pulls and ran like a champ. I bought a smaller model a little over a year ago and it never has idled right. I think some of the changes the EPA required made for a less reliable saw.

7. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

I won't pass judgement on old or new. Stihl is definetly the saw to go with. Buying a used saw can be a real risk if it needs any major work. Call your dealer and price a cylinder and piston for a saw. You can buy a set of pistons for a V-8 for a lot less. I would be real careful about an unknown used saw. If inspecting a saw remove the muffler and look into the bore to check for scoring or scratches.

8. ML8ML82

ML8ML82 New Member

I bought a Stihl 6 years ago, I was spending up to $165.00 per cord delivered, split and stacked or $125.00 I pick up and stack. I burn 3 cords a year so spending $600.00 on a 440 magnum (20" blade) was worth it for me, paid for itself in 1 1/2 years. My neighbor was using a Poulan and was working on a 14" branch, dull blade, the big dummy, (just kidding Mike) I finished off the rest of the tree before he finished cutting his branch.
    My stove below. love it.
    http://jotulflame.com/firelightcb.html

LUKE 22
    36Then He said to them, "But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one.

9. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

We had an O34 AV super an )39 and a smaller Sthil. The older O34 was near perfect, the newer O39 isn't quite the saw the first one was, although its the same displacement. The little branch cutter (O11??) has some kind of problem.... allergic to gasoline maybe?

10. Janon

Janon 993cc Geo Metro

I also have an older (maybe 10 - 15 yrs) O34. It was sold to me as a pro grade saw from a Stihl dealer. It only gets used maybe a dozen times per year at most, but has been a fine saw.

cheers,

11. thequeensblessing

thequeensblessing Well-Known Member

DH is a tree surgeon with a nationally known company. They only use Stihl chainsaws. He uses an 019T for his climbing saw for prunes, deadwoods, etc. He never uses it on the ground. For larger stuff while climbing, like lead removals, he uses a 026. (most folks find the 026 too heavy while working in a tree though.)
    For ground work he uses a 064 with either a 24 inch bar or change sprocket, bar and chain and he runs a 34 inch bar. For a 20 inch bar you wouldn't need anything bigger then a 26 pro. There is a 20T that most tree climbers use but it's an extremely expensive saw, and like all T models, it is a one handed saw. DH doesn't like it because he finds it to be unbalanced and awkward when in the trees. It is a tough little saw though. All the newer Stihls, if you pull the screen out of the muffler, they run better because they don't plug up with carbon deposits. If you want to run a 24 inch bar there is no reason whatsoever to go bigger then a 046 mag.
    As far as repairs go, no matter what you have, you can always get part for a Stihl saw, new or old. Either way, DH swears by Stihl.