Stihl Chain Saw Question

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Warren, Sep 7, 2005.

1. Warren

Warren New Member

After reading a lot of the old chain-saw posts, I have decided to buy a new mid-size Stihl. Now I'm trying to choose between the MS 290 Farm Boss and one of the similar-sized (but more expensive) machines with the all the new bells-and-whistles, like the MS280 CQS. Do any of you have strong opinions regarding the "Advanced anti-vibration system", the "QS braking system", or other new features that aren’t available on the Farm Boss? Are these things really worth having, or just more things to go wrong?

2. woodspirit

woodspirit Well-Known Member

I have an 029 stihl, a husky, and a homelite.
    I have been cutting about one hundred facecords a year with the 029. The brake has always worked and I use it all the time. Its a pretty fast saw and dependable. I put a little bit longer bar on mine than came with it. I would say that I use the stihl for 95% of the cutting. I would like the anti-vibration feature. Considering the volume of cutting that I do.

3. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

I've had Jonsered saws for over 30 years, still have all 3 of them, but just bought my second Stihl yesterday, an MS260Pro. My son has been using a lot of Stihl saws in the last few years and talked me into trying a Stihl again. In a year or so I will be able to give you a better opinion, but so far I like it better than the 041 that I had 20 years age, and it is easy to use and powerful enough for what we do.

My last Jonsereds had a chain brake and it only saved me from injury once or twice in 8 years<G>.

4. mohillbilly

mohillbilly Well-Known Member

your on the right track Warren, stihl is a good brand, i have one myself. As far as features, how much cutting do you do? anti-vibe is nice, but not really that neccassary, as far as the brakeing, i dont know.

my dad likes his new husquvarna, I tried it out and liked it alot. But bottom line stay away from poulan, homelite, or any of the other inexpensive brands unleess you are just trimming trees 3 hours per year! (new ones anyway)

I have two 1970(?) homelite super EZ's , one finally shelled out, also have a small stihl 011avt (runs freekin awesome!)and a large 1969 model homelite super xl with a 24 inch bar. Also have an old bolens, gear reduction output to a 36 inch bar. LOUD and POWERFUL! with No safety featueres! its more of a conversation peice for in the shop!

But of all the brands out there today, I say IMHO that Stihl,and Husquvarna, would be your best bet for the average wood cutter out there.

5. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

I think that an important basic rule of thumb for buying a new chain saw, and probably any new power (engine) driven equipment, is to buy them from a shop that does their own repairs on site. This leaves out the "big box" store and discount stores.