Stihl- a testimonial

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by flutemandolin, Jun 17, 2006.

1. flutemandolin

flutemandolin mark an eight, dude!

Two weeks ago, my dh bought a gas-powered weed cutter from Tool Crib in Duluth, MN, Stihl brand. Last weekend as he was cutting weeds, nothing out of the ordinary, the shaft broke. :( So he talked to the guys at Tool Crib, and they said they would talk to Stihl and get back to him. Well, they called back and said they were shipping a new weed cutter! It arrived yesterday, and Dh says it's actually one step up from what he bought.

Good customer service is a rarity these days, so I believe both Tool Crib and Stihl ought to be commended on their fine example. Dh told them he was considering buying a new chain saw, and if he did it would be a Stihl.

Nothing against Jonsered or Husqvarna. I'm half Swedish myself. :)

2. wr

wr Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I've had great luck with my stihl unit, it's the gas powered beast with the different attachments. There was a recall on it last year that was so quick and painless that I really didn't have time to know it was missing but if I had needed a replacement, I was offered a loaner till mine was repaired. I swear my youngest looses the odd little screw and the allen key to change heads a couple times a year and I simply walk into the dealership and they give me new ones at no charge. I would have to say that any of their products I use is well worth the additional financial investment.

3. Jaclynne

Jaclynne Well-Known Member Supporter

This spring my husband bought a new Stihl brand chain saw from the farm/tractor dealer here in town. About a week later we get a personal letter from the company thanking us for our business and providing a list of contacts should we have any problems with the machine we bought.

We were impressed, customer service nowdays is usually closer to grab the money and run.

Halo

4. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

i bought a stihl brand cutting chain for my husqvarna. lol i love it.

5. Nette

Nette Well-Known Member Supporter

I, too, could do a commercial for Stihl. I haven't had to deal with the company on customer service issues, but it's good to know others have had a good experience with them. Their products are fantastic. I'm still using the first string trimmer that DH bought me in 1993 (?). Since then I've bought another one with a little more power and a blade head, in addition to a tiller, a pole saw ("chainsaw-on-a-stick"), and hedge-clippers. All are VERY dependable. Definitely worth the investment.

6. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Most people I know rave about their Sthil equipment and based on your experience, I have no doubt they have great customer service. The one thing most people do not realize about Stihl is that their fine reputation was built on a German-made line of chainsaws. Everyone knows about German enigneering" and "German-craftsmanship." For the past decade or so, Sthil has went "commercial" going after the "residential or homeowner market." The majority of their product line is now made in the USA and elsewhere. Not that have anything against US manufacturers, but I won't be surprised if the quality of the next generation of Sthil products diminishes over that of the past. If you have a Sthil product that says "Made in Germany" on it, you're a lucky person...hang on to it!

(BTW, all of the Jonsered line are still made in Sweden except for the bottom two models of chaninsaws...which are made for the homeowers market.)

7. tiogacounty

tiogacounty Well-Known Member

I have a twenty year old Stihl chain saw that I have lent out to a few buddies over the years. The last guy was the type that could "wreck an anvil with a rubber mallet", he couldn't kill it. Never had a problem, or a need to repair it. I let it lay on the garage floor for at least 3 years, And I started it after a few pulls. One of the best products money can buy. I alway smile when I see some poor sucker walking out the door of one of the "big boxes" with their $99 chain saw. Nothing but a cardboard box filled with a cheap plastic headache. This is one area where it pays to get the real thing.

8. Sammy

Sammy Well-Known Member

Stihl The #1 !

9. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

Funny you should bring up this subject as I utterly wrecked my Stihl weed trimmer today.

Anyone know where person can find an on-line service manual for an FS-36 trimmer and where one can order parts cheap?