Sticky lightbulbs

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Beeman, Dec 26, 2004.

1. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

I've had problems lately unscrewing lightbulbs from ceiling lamps. It seems the aluminum base of the bulbs tend to stick to the aluminum sockets of the lamps. Has anyone tried coating the screw base of the bulb with anything?

2. Ken in Maine

Ken in Maine Well-Known Member

I've heard vaseline works... just a light coat.

3. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

I tried a little silicon grease and boy did it stink and smoke. I guess seeing how it is a ceiling fixture all of the heat goes up towards the threads it made it hot enough to heat the grease. I'll try some Vaseline and see how it works.

4. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

Some light bulbs are not made for use in ceiling lamps. The heat tends to melt the glues and leaves you with the bulb coming loose from the base. I know I have to buy bulbs specially designed for my ceiling fixtures unless I want to dig out the bases with needle nose pliers.

5. bare

bare Head Muderator

I used to have that problem in tenants homes constantly. Despite my warnings and even though I supplied 60 watt bulbs that the fixtures were rated for, they would replace them with 100 watt bulbs. Now I use compact flourescents and don't have as much problem except making sure they don't walk off.

Check your wattage and if you still have problems, switch to a different bulb supplier. There is a vast difference between bulbs that isn't readily apparent.