Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im wanting to know what the effect of valves sticking on a 4 cyl tractor engine will do to its running ability

·
Clinton, Louisiana
1,889 Posts
I have a 4 cylinder IH444 diesel tractor. When I had to change the head gasket, the front cylinder exhaust and intake valves were stuck closed. The other three cylinders ran fine. After getting the valves fixed and changing the head gasket, it still sounded the same to me.

·
agmantoo
10,852 Posts
Many variables depending on the engine design. Is the engine a flathead or overheard valve design? Is the valve stuck from rust or from a broken valve spring? A valve stuck open will behave differently than a valve stuck closed.

On a flathead a valve stuck closed will bend the valve shaft. On an overhead it will bend the push rod. On a flathead if the valve is rusted open the piston can bend the valve by hitting the piston On an overhead the piston could hit the valve and do damage or it may drive the valve closed causing the pushrod to bend as the cam turns. If a valve spring breaks the valve may not seat and compression may come back through the carb or the exhaust depending on wheter it is an intake or an exhaust valve with a bad spring. If the valve keeper drops off the valve or the valve springs breaks, depending where the break occurs, the piston will damage the valve itself and when running a popping noise will be heard as that cylinder misfires. I would not attempt to run the engine. Instead on the overhead design I would remove the valve cover and inspect the push rods and on the flathead I would remove the head and verify what the problem is and make the repair. Doing the latter is the cheapest means to fix what is wrong.

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
We used to have a JD 720 that would tend to have a sticky valve one in a while. Would run fine till you throttled back like when turning into a field. Then it would start missing on one cylinder.
Had to shut it off and wait. Soon enough there would be a big "whang" as it let go and then you were good to go.

·
Premium Member
25,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had one of those spark plug air pumps when I was a kid. I would plug it into the same sp hole, and it got to where it would start to do that. That was on a F-20

·
Registered
529 Posts
If a valve sticks closed no problem. If it sticks open or loses the seat, big problem. In your pic it shows two cylinders with either an electronics problem causing misses and intermittent ignition or massive oil blow by and carbon build up on the far left cylinder. You definitely have more issues than just a stuck valve. It looks like a progressive head warping from right to left. Did you have the head checked for warping?

·
Clinton, Louisiana
1,889 Posts
Hawgsquatch, I had the head reworked and the tractor is all back together and running fine. I am right now, changing out axle oil seals. Hope to finish this weekend.

·
agmantoo
10,852 Posts
hawgsquatch

Your statement " If a valve sticks closed no problem."
What is the camshaft lobe going to do with the push rod or with the valve stem when you try to turn the engine over that has a valve stuck shut?

·
Premium Member
25,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I put a can of some old stuff ive had around for round 15yrs. label says ist supposed to quiet noisy valves and lifters. I put around a tea cup down the manifold, and the rest in the gas tank. I thought I would turn it over as I thought it would all end up in the carb. I had been trying to start it but the plugs had been all oiled up. Well, iI didn't turn the gas on, but when I turned it over, it fired up and ran for like 10 secs. The area around me looked like it did when I entered the gas house in the army lol.
Ill wait a week to give that stuff some time to do anything, then im going to check the push rod clearances.

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
Doesn't that AC have solid lifters? If so a can of "stuff" isn't going to do anything.... Pull the tappet cover and gauge the clearances.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts