Stickey: Wonderful Recipies

Discussion in 'Weight Loss Forum' started by Wolf mom, Nov 21, 2005.

1. Wolf mom

Wolf mom Well-Known Member

for weight loss... Please post here. If you've got a favorite recipe site, please share here.

2. Wolf mom

Just a suggestion for those who love mayonaise.

Mix it with low-fat/non-fat yoghurt. I use Mountain High. Can't taste it in the mayo and sure cuts the calories.

I'm do about 1/2 & 1/2. You may want to start with different proportions.

:D

3. vtfarma

vtfarma Well-Known Member

Anyone have some lowfat turkey leftover recipe ideas. I am sick of the plain turkey and refuse to cook anything else until this is gone. There is mutiny afoot I think... the kids are discussing feeding it to the dogs.

4. steff bugielski

steff bugielski Well-Known Member

I know pork is not the least fattening, but this was real good and easy.

2 garlic cloves
    1ts salt
    1 pork roast (6 lbs)
    4 lbs all-porouse potatoes
    1 lg onion
    3 Tbs margarine or butter, melted
    2 tsp seasoned salt
    1/8 tsp pepper
    2 Tbs chopped fresh parsley

Preheat oven to 425 F. with garlic press crush 1 garlic clove; mix with salt. Rub over pork; place fat side up in 17 x 11 roasting pan. Roast 30 mins.

Thinly slice potatoes and chop onion. Crush other garlic clove; toss with potatoes, onion, margarine, seasoned salt and pepper.

After the 30 mins, spoon potatoes around meat. Roast 1 hour and 15 mins, stirring potatoes twice. Temp. inside pork should be 150F.

Sprinkle with parsely.

( I doubled the garlic) it was delicious!
    serves 8
    500 calories per sevring
    51g protien
    38g carbs
    15 total fat
    4g fiber
    135 mg cholesterol
    880 mg sodium

Steff

5. Wolf mom

I think you can put turkey in anything as the flavor is so mild. Soups, stews, omlets...

6. #1 DogMom

#1 DogMom Well-Known Member

I just love these muffins! They're easy to put together and make a great breakfast to have with a nice glass of kefir(or your own favorite drink) OR to have as a snack.

Banana-Orange Muffins
    1 med. ripe banana, mashed
    1 egg
    1/4 cup applesauce
    1 cup whole wheat flour
    1 1/2 cups rolled oats
    2 tsp. baking powder
    1/2 tsp. grated orange rind
    3/4 cup orange juice
    In a bowl mix the banana, egg and applesauce together until smooth. In a separate bowl combine the flour, oats, baking powder, and orange rind. Stir in to the banana mixture and then add the orange juice. Pour into a muffin tin that is either paper lined or lightly coated with oil. Bake at 425 for 15 mins. Makes 12 muffins.

You may notice that there is no sugar of any kind, but these muffins are plenty sweet as the sweetening comes from the banana and orange juice. Enjoy

Leanna

7. Southpaw

Southpaw Well-Known Member

Mix 1/2 cup frozen fruit (I like strawberries) with 1/2 cup diet 7-Up. Put it in the blender until smooth. Enjoy!

8. organic heart

organic heart New Member

you had me sold until you added 7-up. why not add something like organic honey for some healthy taste? i dont know whats in diet 7-up but i'd be willing to bet some money that it's not good for you. frozen fruit is wonderful for making your own soft serve though.

heres one very simple and healthy ice cream resembling recipe

take 2 very ripe bananas, with a decent amount of blackspots cuz if its not ripe its starchy and hard to digest and not as nutritious. peel them and freeze them in a container for 6-10 hours depending on your freezer. then blend with just enough water to get things movin around. you can add real vanilla or stevia or :confused: table sugar :confused: or raw honey(my recommendation) or agave syrup for an extra kick if you want. DELICIOUS real maple syrup instead of that fake toxic corn syrup replacement crap for dressing if you want. or even unraw free flowing honey would be better imo. you can do this with all frozen fruit apparently, but ive never felt compelled to try other fruits and this banana stuff is surprisingly good. at first i didnt think it would turn out like ice cream when i read it, but its JUST like soft serve and very very yummy. doesnt save well at all though and is best done fresh,

another nice recipe is nut milk. blend your choice of nuts or seeds in a blender with a lot of water now, add some kind of the flavors mentioned above if desired, and strain. very good stuff. the fat in it is essential unlike the fat in dairy, and it has no cholesterol and the protein is higher quality i think. i like to add organic cinnamon to mine, or ill just drink certain ones without flavor sometimes, like pumpkin+sunflower seed milk. a bit of some good seasalt is good to add to this one for flavor too. this will keep for at least a week too in a glass jar. i wouldnt know how long though, i always drink it all up way before it goes bad. and i imagine if they sell almond milk outside refridgerators at health food stores, it keeps very well if you add sea salt to it :)

9. Speciallady

Speciallady Well-Known Member

Here is my version of the 0 point soup. It gives it a lot better flavor I think.

I have a big stock pot so use your own portions

two cans fat free chicken broth
    One small head cabbage- cut in squares
    One onion- chopped
    carrots - chopped
    green beans- two cans or 2 pounds fresh
    1 can corn ( will add 1/2 point per cup)
    potato slices (will add 1 point per cup)
    cayenne pepper
    garlic cloves and salt
    onion salt
    pepper

I use the juice from the cans in the soup as well
    Use your spices to taste.

10. Crystal H

Crystal H Well-Known Member

so yummy and good for you

Nonfat or lowfat plain yogurt (or whole) quart
    Drain in cheese cloth overnight.

Add

1 Cucumber that has been grated and salted and squeezed out
    1tsp fresh dill minced
    1 T of fresh mint minced

mix together.

use as a dip, dressing for sandwiches,

I like to eat this with veggies raw or steamed.

11. GrannyG

GrannyG Well-Known Member

I like to go to http://www.coolwhip.com and go to the healthy living section. They have some great recipes, and that chocolate ribbon pie is wonderful. I use Splenda instead of the sugar, so it is sugarless,and everyone likes it. It stays nice in the refrig and doesn't soak into the graham crust.

12. miss_dee

miss_dee Well-Known Member

This is a great light dessert:

20 oz can crushed pineapple in juice
    1/2 cup sugar
    2 cups buttermilk or 16 oz. fat free plain yogurt
    1/2 tsp vanilla

Place undrained pineapple in blender or food processor; blend until pureed. Place in mixing bowl and stir in sugar. Let mixture stand 10 minutes or until sugar dissolves, stirring occasionally. Stir in buttermilk and vanilla. Transfer to a 1 1/2 quart freezer container. Cover and freeze overnight or until firm. Let stand 30 minutes before serving. Serve with ice cream scoop into dessert bowls.

I've never tried this with yogurt, cause the buttermilk is so good.

13. Speciallady

Speciallady Well-Known Member

I made this cake last night and the ladies loved it.

1 box white cake
    1 cup diet 7up
    bake at 375 for 25-30 min. depending on pan and oven

Icing:
    1 package fat free sugar free pudding
    1 package fat free cream cheese
    2 cups skim milk
    Blend well

14. cozyhollow-gal

cozyhollow-gal Well-Known Member

I cook Turkey all kinds of ways. Fix a dish that ask for meat and use Turkey. I put it in anything that needs meat or I want meat in. I fix egg omelets with it. I put it in soups, salads, make open sandwiches with it and add favorite veggies, (lettuce, tomatoes, onions, etc).
    Can Bake a Turkey with dressing and glaze it with Jalapena jelly. (YUM!) can put Jalapena Jelly on individual pieces. ( I make my own Jalapena Jelly). Gives it a great different taste. Make a sandwich spread out of Turkey meat, Casseroles, etc. I am sure if you look it up on the internet, (Turkey recipes) you will find oodles of ways to fix it.
    Maybe not use the 'word' turkey when serving the kids, :) Might ward off the mutiny. :p :lookout:
    Patsy

15. woodsmokeinherhair

woodsmokeinherhair it's bout quality of life

This is a recipe I got off the SparkPeople dieting site I joined a couple of weeks ago :)

95 Calorie Carrot Ginger Muffins

1 cup whole wheat flour
    1 1/2 tsp baking powder
    1 egg beaten
    1/3 cup brown sugar
    1/3 cup white sugar
    2 Tbsp butter
    1 large carrot, finely chopped
    1/4 cup skim milk
    1 tsp fresh ginger, minced, or shredded
    1/8 tsp cinnamon
    1/8 tsp dry powdered ginger
    1/8 tsp allspice (or mixed ground spice)
    1/8 tsp vanilla
    Optional: 1/2 cup raisins or nuts (not included in nutritional information)

Preheat oven to 350. Cut butter into small cubes and soften. In a large bowl, combine flour and baking powder with the butter, using pastry cutter or fingers to break down the butter into fine pieces mixed with the flour. Add sugars, ginger, carrot, milk, beaten egg, vanilla, and spices to the mixture and mix thoroughly with a wooden spoon or spatula Add raisins or nuts if using them. Bake for 25 minutes and let cool.

Divide into 12 muffin cups.

Fat: 2.6g
    Carbohydrates: 18.4g
    Calories: 100.1
    Protein: 2.0g

I, of course, didn't make it like this, lol. Mostly because I was fresh out of carrots! I also needed to add pecans because they are a source of magnesium and I am trying to do some good things for my high blood pressure. So, below is my version ....

Apricot Pecan Breakfast Muffins

1 cup whole wheat flour
    1 1/2 tsp baking powder
    1 egg beaten
    1/3 cup brown sugar
    1/3 cup white sugar
    2 Tbsp butter
    1/3 cup finely chopped dried apricots
    1/4 cup skim milk
    1 tsp fresh candied ginger, minced (I candy my ginger and try to eat some every day to help my problem with motion sickness, so it's what I have on hand)
    1 tsp vanilla
    1/2 cup pecans

Preheat oven to 350. Cut butter into small cubes and soften. In a large bowl, combine flour and baking powder with the butter, using pastry cutter or fingers to break down the butter into fine pieces mixed with the flour. Add sugars, ginger, apricots, milk, beaten egg, vanilla and nuts to the mixture and mix thoroughly with a wooden spoon or spatula Bake for 25 minutes and let cool.

Divide into 12 muffin cups. These muffins are smallish (what did you expect? It's a diet recipe! lol)

Not bad though, not bad at all :).

Woodsmokeinherhair!

16. newfieannie

newfieannie newfieannie Supporter

Got It! Thanks. so very kind of you to share. just knew you were a sweetie!
    Thanks again, Georgia.

17. Goatsandsheep

Goatsandsheep Well-Known Member Supporter

Pumpkin spice cookies

1 box spice cake mix
    1 15/16oz can of pumpkin
    1 cup chocolate chips

mix cake mix and pumpkin together add chocolate chip drop by teaspoon on to cookie sheet and bake for 7 to 10 mins at 350 degrees

This is a 1 point WW recipe that my whole family loves. G&S

18. Protus

Protus Active Member

here are some weve done lately.

venision soup-
    1-2 lbs of venision stew meat or roast cubed.
    1/2 a white onion(sweet or vidalia)chopped
    crushed garlic1 tablespoon
    1 bay leaf
    sea salt- about 1tbsp
    1-tsp of thyme
    1-tsp of orgeano or italian seasoning
    ground pepper(black)
    1-tsp of cheyenn pepper
    2 cans of "roasted" tomatoes
    2 sticks of celery chopped
    1 cup of brown rice
    3 zuchinnis(6-8 inches in length) chopped

ok. get you a big pot. i use a SS steel stock pot thats umm i dunno holds just over 1 gallon maybe 2.

anyway. pour in some EVO..get it hot. drop in your deer.
    add your oinions now as well and the garlic.
    brown it.
    add a lil h20. stir it as it browns up more.
    add the rest.
    just dump it in.

add h20 as needed as it is soaked up by the rice i start with 1/2 over everything and add as i check.

honey chicken w/onions

2x boneless chicken breast
    1/2 white onion.
    wild honey
    franks red hot
    seasoning salt
    garlic
    cinnimon

take a plate shake out the salt and garlic(if dried)

rub your chicken in it. then sit aside. and re- cover the plate.
    paint your chicken down with the honey.

now, dredge it in that plate. and shake a lil franks on it.

let them sit.

ok..

now get that onion and chop it up..get a skillet hot with evo.
    drop in teh chopped onion. add soem salt.pepper, cinnamon and a good scoup of the honey.
    simmer it down . untill its gets brown and gooey.
    slap your chicken breast down in the skillet on top of teh onions.cook em fer maybe 3 minutes that way while your oven pre heats.

pre heat your oven to 250-275

drop it in the over for 35-40 minutes.

i served it with a side of coscus(sp)

now the honey blows your sugars outta the sky. but you could sub coconut juice/milk and some fruits for a tropical deal... or rub them down with cajun seasoining, minus the honey and serv a side of griled veggies...

soory for not being exact. i cook by taste and just "go with it".....wife hates it cuz she can never duplicate it LOL

19. ceorlgirl

ceorlgirl Member

I just joined the forum and this is the first message I've posted. figures that it would be about food.
    I have a salad dressing/dip that I really enjoy and it is very low fat and healthy. It is also more natural than some of the dips and dressings I used to really like. I am guessing about the measurements, as I do it to taste.

Delicious Mustard dressing

scant 1/2 cup yellow or spicy brown mustard
    1/2 cup plain yoghurt
    1-2 tbs. honey or brown sugar
    1-2 tbs. olive oil
    black pepper
    a few dashes cayenne hot sauce. (I use Frank's Redhot Sauce)
    any other seasonings you like: black pepper, more hot sauce, garlic, onions, herbs, a few dashes of a tasty vinegar like balsamic, etc. All of those add lots of flavor but little to no calories.

Mix all ingredients gently, adding yoghurt and seasonings last. Enjoy!You may need to add some water to get a good pouring consistency. It is about two to four grams of fat per a two tablespoon serving, depending on how much olive oil used, and whether you use regular, low-fat, or fat-free yoghurt.
    Now I really want to make some, but we are out of yoghurt. I think I will try making it with some fresh chives soon.

20. fitwind

fitwind Well-Known Member

I really like this My DH made his on little reciepe I would like to share...As many of you know I have been on the Sacred Heart Diet, which limits the food I can eat.
    Healthy Stir Fry
    1 med onion cut up
    2 carrots cut up
    1/2 of a green pepper
    1/2 a can of green beans
    1 or 2 stalks of celery sliced up
    3 or 4 green onions
    balsamic vinegar (add per your taste I just use a 2 or 3 dashes)
    Parkay Butter spray(zero calories) 1 to 1 1/2 tablespoons

Season to your taste salt, pepper or anything else you like..
    You may also add any other vegetables that you like to it I sometimes put a half a leek in it too.

Put it all in a frying pan and stir and cook for approx. 10-15 minutes

It makes for a wonderful healthy stirfry dinner with very low calories... I eat this alone and also have with brown rice that I cook in a 99% fat free Beef Broth. You guys really should try it..... I really do love this...