stickers on my van

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by cwgrl23, Oct 2, 2006.

1. cwgrl23

cwgrl23 Chief Vegtable Grower :) Supporter

I just bought a 97 Dodge conversion van. It has "pinstriping" stickers all over it. The stickers are starting to come off and I would like to remove them all so I can repaint it.

What do I use to take the stickers off? An auto body shop quoted me $1500 to just remove the stickers! :grump:

Carrie in SD

2. CatsPaw

CatsPaw Who...me?

there are two products...one is goof-off and the other, I don't remember...but check for goof-off and you'll probably find the other that specifically takes off sticky's

3. morrowsmowers

morrowsmowers Well-Known Member

I haven't tried it on auto body but even lubricants such as WD-40 will remove stickers from appliances, etc. Might just soften up the adhesive enough to allow you to peel it off. If it was an actual decal that was set after it was applied there is a chemical to remove the decal but I don't know what it's called (sorry).

Ken in Glassboro, NJ

4. wy_white_wolf

wy_white_wolf Just howling at the moon

Heat gun (hair dryer) will soften then up so they are easy to peel off. Unless you block sand over the areas real good the pinstripes will still show up through a new coat of paint. Has to do with that paint under them hasn't been oxidized over the years. When I was doing bodywork I used to just DA (dual action sand) through the paint to remove the pinstripes and reprime as it was less work.

5. beowoulf90

beowoulf90 Well-Known Member Supporter

They do make a rubber wheel to fit the 4" grinders that will take it off also. You just have to becareful not to press to hard or hold in the same spot to long.

6. cwgrl23

cwgrl23 Chief Vegtable Grower :) Supporter

So if I have it sandblasted that will take the stickers off? These are detail stickers. Instead of painting pinstriping on the van, they used stickers.

Carrie in SD