Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a gallon of milk at the grocery store today. For just one gallon.....$5!! There was a sign on the door to the cooler stating that all dairy products had gone up in price due to feed stock being used for ethanol production, higher transportation costs and something else I can't remember just now. This sign stated that costs would be rising....as in this isn't as high as it's going to get, prepare for it to continue to go up. I haven't been able to justify a dairy animal with there just being 2 of us.....up till now. I can by golly justify it now. We drink a gallon a day....over 30 days. That's $150 per month just on milk! Not to mention butter and cheese. Think I'll mosey over to the goat forum for a while.

·
Registered
91 Posts
The rising price of dairy products has justified my buying and maintaining dairy goats. As long as we are milking our own goats, we will have milk cheese and butter.
We drink a lot of milk at our house, and it would be very expensive if we had to pay that much for milk.

Prices on everything will be rising because of the price of fuel. This will only get worse.

All of a sudden having goats and a big garden doesn't look so kooky.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Wow...i wish milk was that cheap here in canada....if you work it out (metric litres to us gallons) we are paying right at $6.25 a gallon...and some are a little more...around $6.45

·
Keeping the Dream Alive
1,270 Posts
Harley,
how many litres are there in a U.S. Gallon, and how much do you pay for 1 litre of milk in Canada?
While I'm here, how much do you pay for a litre of unleaded? ... petrol that is, not milk.

Shin

·
Master Of My Domain
7,220 Posts
i liter is a little more than a quart and there are 4 quarts per gallon. so it is like 3.5 @.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Cow milk is $5.48 a gallon here. We've had goats for 2 years but just got a milk cow back in March. There's only 2 of us but to me it's worth it.

·
An Ozark Engineer
13,441 Posts
TxGypsy said:
I bought a gallon of milk at the grocery store today. For just one gallon.....$5!! There was a sign on the door to the cooler stating that all dairy products had gone up in price due to feed stock being used for ethanol production, higher transportation costs and something else I can't remember just now. This sign stated that costs would be rising....as in this isn't as high as it's going to get, prepare for it to continue to go up. I haven't been able to justify a dairy animal with there just being 2 of us.....up till now. I can by golly justify it now. We drink a gallon a day....over 30 days. That's $150 per month just on milk! Not to mention butter and cheese. Think I'll mosey over to the goat forum for a while.
Wow, TxGypsy! I've had goats for two years now, and have not even looked at milk prices in the store. Yes, mosey on over to the goat forum. Lots of good info there, and many experienced goatkeepers willing to share info.

NeHi

·
Keeping the Dream Alive
1,270 Posts
Meloc, There sure seems to be a difference in U.S. pints and Imperial pints!
Here, 1 imperial pint = 600 ml.,thus 1 qt = 1.2 litres, and 1 gallon = 4.8 litres.
We generally buy milk in 1, 2 or 3 litre containers. The cheapest is the 3 litre container, but even that is over a dollar per litre at discount prices, so we're paying about $6 per gallon. Unleaded gasoline is around $1.40 per litre, Which would work out at around $7 per gallon. Diesel is even more expensive.

No wonder people find it hard to buy wide-screen LCD TVs.

·
Premium Member
2,180 Posts
Milk prices are finally catching up to inflation, and then the cost of fuel, and the price of corn due to ethanol competition, all figure in the price increases. But it sounds like the farmers are at least getting a share of it this time.

·
Registered
6,977 Posts
Cheaper milk $3.50 a gal. here name brand almost $5.

Still want to know why milk costs more than gas? Not a lot of hi-tech involved to process milk. I heard the other day that corn dropped quite a bit, is that true? Also don't see where the price of corn comes in unless we're talking seed corn. Most dairies I've seen grow their own and many don't use shell corn as much as sileage or alfalfa.

·
Miniature Horse lover
25,219 Posts
WisJim said:
Milk prices are finally catching up to inflation, and then the cost of fuel, and the price of corn due to ethanol competition, all figure in the price increases. But it sounds like the farmers are at least getting a share of it this time.
No they are not milk prices are $17.75 a hundred wieght not 7 years ago they were 22 a hundred wt. So they are getting Less and now the fuel prices are out of site for them. Oh they are better then 3 years ago when they were at 13 a hundred wt.

·
Love it, or leave it...
402 Posts
A few months ago, a gallon of skim milk was $1.61 at the local Kwik Trip stores. Today it was $2.62 a gallon. This store is over a dollar cheaper than the local grocery stores which are about $3.65 a gallon.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Yep, seems like every trip to the grocer is a new adventure in pain for me. Seems like every trip something that I buy regularly has gone up a significant amount. 'Course this means that some items are not quite so regular purchases any more.

It's a good thing the government doesn't include food or energy prices in the inflation index. The result would scare the hell out of a lot of people.

Bob

·
Registered
198 Posts
Cresindo said:
We gave up drinking milk long ago.
I'm going to have a hard time giving up milk and other dairy products if that ever becomes necessary. With my northern European/Scandinavian background, milk and dairy have always been an important part of my diet.

My experience is mostly with cow's milk. I tried goat's milk once and did not like it. I think it was just because I had not acquired a taste for it.

My "girlfriend" in Estonia was put on reindeer milk by her pediatrician as a baby. Reindeer are not indigenous to Eesti, but the Sami peoples across the Baltic sea in Finland, Sweden and Norway harvest the milk all the time. (Apparently, even during the Soviet occupation, there was trade in reindeer milk.) It is supposed to be the richest milk there is. I'd like to try some sometime, just to say I did it.

In the Finno-Ugric Estonian tongue, milk is "piim". Oh, and it is still pretty cheap there - less than half price of what the grocers here charge for it.

Bob

1 - 20 of 104 Posts