Stick Built vs. Post & Beam

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Backwoods Bob, Sep 4, 2004.

1. Backwoods Bob

Backwoods Bob New Member

I've built 2 small buildings in the past using the stick built method, ie. framing with 2x4's. Both sheds, one 6'x8' and one 8'x8'. I'm looking to build a 1000sf. +/- house in the future along with a few smaller outbuildings. Any opinions on whether it would be better/easier/faster/cheaper etc. etc. to build with post & beam or should I stay with stick built? Appreciate any and all input! Thanks! Bob

2. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

We build both ways here at Wolf Cairn Moor, but if you think about it; one doesn't see many stick built barns or other large storage buildings. Post and beam are "...,/easier/faster/cheaper etc. etc." IMHO

3. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

timber frame are easier, they are cheaper , and yes , definately faster, timberframe.org, is good place to look at stuff, but wont giveyou anything about doing it yourself , best to go to amazon , or similar, and buy the books
    timber frame construction , by jack sobon, And/or timber frame workshop , by Steve Chappell

good luck , enjoy building !

4. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Pole buildings have a lot of advantages. Cheaper because you don't need a big concrete foundation. Can use less lumber. Withstand wind and earthquakes better. Easier to insulate. I'd go with poles and straw bale infill if I were building anything.

5. Mudwoman

Mudwoman Well-Known Member

We were originally going to do a post and beam-------open underneath the house foundation----like you would do a large deck. Then we found out that no insurance company would insure a house in our area that didn't have a block perimeter. So, we have blocks around the perimeter on 3 ft thick concrete footings and then we have concrete footings underneath with big block piers every 6 ft in any direction. The piers are connected with five 2 x 10's with 3/4 inch plywood sandwiched between them. Then we have 2 x 10 engineered joists on 16 inch centers with 3/4 inch tongue and groove exterior CDX. on top of the beams.

The foundation is extremely strong and the blessing has been that we have no deflection to worry about.

6. Backwoods Bob

Backwoods Bob New Member

Thanks to you all for the input. I'm planning to build on top of a foundation of some sort, probably doesn't make it "true" post & beam construction I guess. The straw bale idea is one I'm considering. Depends on the availability and quality of material available when the time comes. This project is a couple years off at this point. Got to get some plans down on paper, right now it's all in my head. I'll check out the suggested books too, I'm sure that'll help with my decisions. Thanks again! Bob - P.S. Any comments on foundation types will be appreciated too! I'll be building in an area with down to -45 degree winters.