Stiches from neutering?

Discussion in 'Working and Companion Animals' started by Caprice Acres, Apr 7, 2006.

1. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

Well, Rev's been fixed about two weeks or more now, and I am wondering if there are any stiches to worry about? The vet's helpers never said anything about having them removed, but there seems to be the end of a string at the base of the inscision area... It was a busy day for them, but it seems like if there were stiches that needed removed they would tell me or contact us when it was time to have them removed...

2. lscheopner

lscheopner lscheopner

Most vets generally take them out at 2 weeks. I would call the vet. They can become ingrown into the skin and get an infection. I had a chihuahua male that was neutered right before we got him and he had a piece of suture left in there. It never got infected but had to cut it off or have the vet cut it open and remove it. The knot had grown into the skin. It eventually came out on its own.
    I take out my own but have worked for vets and know how to do it. If you don't let the vet do it.

Laina

3. GoldenMom

GoldenMom Well-Known Member

We don't put skin stitches in dog neuters, just internal stitches that dissolve. If all you're seeing is one string especially at the end of the incision I'd guess part of the internal stitches have come out the incision (they are probably breaking down now). You can (or the vet's office can) clip it off at skin level.

4. housewife

housewife Well-Known Member

Some time the dissolveable stitches don't. Most vets would treat it as a recheck some charge a small fee for it some don't charge at all. Anyway I would get it checked just incase.

5. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

Ok, thanks.. We'll call our vet!!