Sthil 024-AV....Fix or sell...???

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by fordy, Aug 25, 2004.

1. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

.........'Nuther chain saw question...Ok folks , I've got a Sthil 024-av chain saw that has a Cracked case around the Oil reservoir . This saw is about 20 years old, but it ONLY has about 10 hours or Less of time on the Motor. Now, my father paid to have a used case switchout just before he died in 1993. The current case is cracked and leaks chain oil . The kicker is i just went out and started the engine and it runs like nobody's business , just like it was brand new . So, I'm thinking the NEW saws are running around 500 or so and this saw just needs to have a new\used case to make it just like a new saw . I don't believe that a NEW case is available or atleast that is what I was told .
    .........(1) Is it worth spending the money to find a used case and what do you'll think it will cost to have it switched , (2) If I can find a used case is this a job for a neophyte with no chainsaw experience , (3) Might it be possible to use Epoxy to mend the old case , i.e. , i was told by the dealer that Epoxy ...WON'T hold ...over time, . A friend said he would pay $50 ;) for it but it really wasn't worth anything :rolleyes: :rolleyes: . ..........Ok friends I need Yo' opinion's....Chainsaw Louie , from St. Louie , ... :eek: :p

2. Gary in AL

Gary in AL Well-Known Member

Fordy,
    I would try JB Weld. I put it on a pastic lawnmower gas tank 5 years ago and it is still holding. What'cha got to loose if it runs good. Just make sure to clean the surface good. Gary

3. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

............Gary , you just echoed what I've been thinking all along! I'm going to have do a goole search and see if I can find a copy of the owners manual on the internet . This saw is almost new in terms of use . I stopped in at the dealer and the stihl saws are really very pricey and i'm NOT convinced that they are better quality than what I already have , thanks , fordy..(chinsaw , JB weld, Louie).... :eek: :p :yeeha:

4. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

5. yep the new ones are better . lighter less vibration safer.
    1: yes it is worth finding a case when you fnd the price and price to install then decide if it is worth it.
    2: no chainsaw experience ? loaded question can you change the chain do you ever work on your car or tractor? better decide that one yourself . they are pretty simple the pull rewind is the most complicated part then maybe throttle linkage.
    3. sure i have seen epoxy used to fix brand new airplanes before the customer takes delivery you can fix almost anything with epoxy. scratch the surface and maybe even drill some poc holes not all the way throug on both sides of the crack as anchors.also most all cracks need stop drilled which typicly means using a crack detecting dye and drilling a small hole at the end of the crack so it won't run any more

6. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

clean ad de-grease and JB weld as someone else stated. 20 years on my JB and no problems. i used it on the gas tank after a fall at 55 MPH.

mikell

7. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

I JB'd a Homelite 150 gas tank and it held. Wash the tank inside and out to rid it of all the residue. Grind a amall V in the crack and fill to overflow the V with JB. Give ample time to cure and go for it!

8. Anataq

Anataq Well-Known Member

Fix it Fordy, the 024 is a great saw. I bought three new saws in 02 for the Alaska project and one of them was the 026pro, a similar saw, minus all the fancy inti carb stuff- and antivib. There are a lot of upgrades in the new saws, but the 024 is still a good old work horse. The three saws were well over $2K.

-Anataq
    www.pawceekhomestead.com

9. Blu3duk

Blu3duk Well-Known Member

I echo the using of JB Weld tm on an oil tank leak if it is cracked, I used a blue/yellow ribbon epoxy on a sthil years ago, and never did any grinding to it all, just washed it off really good and mixed it up and applied it....

Since there is no pressure it will service you without a hitch, and the case should not break from vibration, but if it does again maybe it is need of a new motor mount.....

William

10. Oggie

Oggie Waste of bandwidth Supporter

I cracked the bar oil portion of the case on one of my stihls. I cleaned it real well with compressed air, then with acetone. Then I repaired it with epoxy. That was almost a year ago and no leak yet.

I priced the repair. Almost $200 for just the part.

11. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

....................Cabin F, I followed your link and ordered anowners manual, thanks for the help . ......
    ...................Thanks to all who have provided info on your various methods of applying Epoxy to fix the leak . I will be taking the saw apart as soon as I receive the owners manual , Again, thanks for your help , fordy... :eek: :)

12. desdawg

desdawg Well-Known Member

If all else fails there are lots of used chainsaws on E-bay. However people seem willing to bleed through every orfice in thier wallet for anything that says Stihl on it. You may find a saw like yours with a shot engine and a price you can live with. Just a thought.

13. Bret

Bret Well-Known Member Supporter

Fordy,
    You deserve an additional chain saw. I have purchased three for Right As Rain Ranch. The first was a Craftsgan that cut OK, but I could not start it very easily. It was a love hate think. One day while clearing a pasture of baseball bat thick weed trees, I set the saw in from of my tractor and mower where I would see it when I got back on the tractor after a rest. Guess what happened. Yup. I was shocked at the time. Anyone else ever see a bunch of little chain saw parts come out the back of a KingCuter Mower? I was both happy and sad!

I replaced it with a Husqvarna which I later burned up with either the wrong fuel or a cracked plastic carburator throat that created a too lean mixture. Out of stubborness I rebuilt it with $250.00 worth of new parts and my own labor. I think I have about $1700.00 in a $500.00 saw. At the same time I bought another low end Husqvarna with a compression release. Starts easily. I use them both now because I am always getting one stuck.

I often think that If I had bleacher seats near by, people would pay money to watch me work just for the entertainment. Am I the only one?

Two saws are better then one for us part-timers.
    Buy the best you can afford.
    Bret