Stewart Little did leave a legacy!!

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by ozark_jewels, Oct 10, 2006.

1. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

Well, Bobbie was the last cow bred to our last herd sire, Stewart Little. He is in the freezer now, but we really wanted a hiefer from him and so far had gotten only bulls. Bobbie, a first-freshening heifer gave us a beautiful little heifer calf four days ago. She is simply perfect. :) So we have a new heifer and a new adition to the milk herd who is behaving well. Here are a few pics of her about two hours after she was born.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. cindy04

cindy04 Well-Known Member

She is beautiful! We have our first Jersey calfs due in April. Both, Gracie (5 yrs.) and Clover (21 month ) are registered. Grace is a dream to milk and Clover is a clown, both are very gentle and easy to handle. Good luck with the new little one. We too are hoping for hiefer calves, as these two are wonderful and so much fun (not to mention that Jersey milk and cream) I think this Jersey thing could become a habit!

Cindy

3. ozark_jewels

Its been a habit with us now for 18 years..... :) Hope you get your heifers..... :dance:

4. savinggrace

savinggrace COO of manure management

I absolutely love how beautiful Jersey calves are! She is particularly lovely. Congratulations!

5. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

wow thats a wonderful looking cow.

6. commomsense

commomsense Beef,Its whats for dinner

Great news! Hope she does good for you.

Also Stewart was a jersey ,wasn't he? I'm rasing a Jersey bull right now I got from a dairy farm.(Owned by Land-O-Lakes butter.)I can tell he's going to be a bad one.How does Jersey meat taste?I stick with Angus and Herfords for beef.I might have to eat him.Good beef stock are sky high now around here and the store bought meat is carp.

7. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

Emily is there a Stuart Little II ?...nice calf

8. ozark_jewels

Yes, Stewart was a registered Jersey but he ended in our freezer as he was the one bull I have owned that was *truly* mean. No reason, and he'd try to kill you. The rest we have had over the years were ok as long as you respected them for what they were and taught them to respect you in kind. But not Stewart. Anyway, Jersey meat is great. Our family only eats Jersey and prefer it over all other beef except *maybe* highlander. Its simply good.
    Are you raising your bull for a breeding bull??

9. ozark_jewels

Actually he threw a lot of Stewart Little II's........... ;) Thanks guys!

10. commomsense

commomsense Beef,Its whats for dinner

Breeding,I have a 10 year old jersey cow and need too get a heifer before she gets to old.She was born the night my mother died.She's a great cow,gives 4 gallons after she has a calf.

And her daddy was the meanest Jersey I had ever seen.Dented my truck,Nearly flipped my truck on the way to market,and he almost came out of the holding pen at the market.

11. topside1

topside1 Retired Coastie Supporter

Congratulations on your new Jersey heifer, couldn't be happier for you...The legacy continues....Tennessee John

12. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

Oh, she's a honey! Beautiful eyes, really dreamy.

We had a Beefmaster/Brahma cross cow who was gentle until that first calf, then she tried to kill everyone who came in the pasture. She went to the sale quickly.

13. JulieLou42

JulieLou42 Well-Known Member

That's what I want with next year's calf...just like that!!!

All my cow's had in 4 years...first 4...IS bulls. Plenty 'round here grassfed I can put in my freezer, no need of my own...

I'm posting your pix on the fridge to help it happen.

She's a real beaut!!! Congrats to you!

14. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

So just What is A quality jersey heifer worth?? just wondering? Thanks

15. JulieLou42

JulieLou42 Well-Known Member

A few months old, probably $800.

16. Up North

JulieLou perhaps you could have your AI Technician breed her to Sex-Sorted Jersey Semen. Naturally they will tell you that it is only to be used on virgin heifers, but many dairy farmers are simply putting their foot down and responding that "Hey, I'm paying for it - You will put it in the cow I tell you to".....Just a thought. :)

17. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

Congrats! Exactly what you needed!
    Always good to get at least one heifer out of a bull.

Up North,
    Dad thinks the idea of using the sexed semen on virgin heifers only doesn't make complete sense. He said if he were paying the money for sexed semen he'd use it in a cow that has settled first service every time. Though that can go bad of course....Xena used to settle first service for the first 5 years but at 8 years old, she didn't.
    Sexed smene isn't in our future until I can actually settle animals on a regular basis, however.
    I've bred a dozen animals in the past two weeks that did not take this summer..... Looks like we will have a five month span of no calves afterall (though dad had figured that would happen after I had just returned home). Still have five more calves due before February though.

18. ozark_jewels

I could get $400-$450 out of this girl at two weeks of age if I was so inclined.....and she is not registered.

19. Up North

Dostthou - I agree completely with your father ;)