Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,388 Posts
I grew it last year but didn't do anything with it.

I'm growing it this year and plan to dry the leaves like I would any other herb, and use it in tea and see how that works.

I'd be interested in learning how others use Stevia. I'm at a loss. I searched online but the info I came up with was how to use purchased "extracts" or similar.

·
Premium Member
2,193 Posts
I have grown it a couple of years but have not used it. However, I was happy to learn that in Zone 6 here I mulched the Stevia plant well for winter and it came up just fine.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
I've been growing it for many years. I don't like the taste of it, myself, but I dry the leaves and powder them for a friend.

Stevia recipes:
[ame]http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=stevia+recipes&btnG=Google+Search&meta=[/ame]

Use dried, powdered leaves as a substitute for sugar. One tablespoon of stevia or less is equivalent to about 1 cup sugar. Some people notice a slight after-taste, while others do not. A liquid sweetener is made by pouring 1 litre boiling water over 1 tablespoon dried leaves and leaving to infuse. Refrigerate and use within a few days or freeze for later. To make a syrup, place 4 teaspoons dried powdered leaves in a saucepan with 2 cups water, simmer slowly for 10-15 minutes. Cool and refrigerate. A teaspoon of Vitamin C powder may be added to act as a preservative. An infusion of fresh or dried leaves can be drunk as a beverage, hot or cold, or added to other herbs as a sweetener. If using fresh leaves to replace dried quantities listed above, multiply the amount 5 times. Approximately 6 large leaves chopped finely is a substitute for 1/2 cup of sugar for baking or in cooked recipes. 1 teaspoon of ground stevia is equal to 1 cup of sugar; 2 drops of liquid essence is equal to 1 teaspoon sugar. An extract can be made by combining 1 cup vodka with 3/4 cup fresh stevia leaves in a jar. Shake every day for 2 weeks, then filter through a coffee filter. Add a drop to beverages.

804 Posts
Go over to the Barter Board and find Daryl in NWFlorida. He raises and markets it and may can answer your questions.
Scott

1 - 7 of 7 Posts