Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just stepped on a nail. Not terribly deep, but it *is* a puncture wound. Last tetanus was about 6 years ago. Do I have to go in *now*, or can I wait and call for a doctor appointment in the morning?

*sigh* I HATE tetanus shots...

·
Banned
1,627 Posts
Tetanus shot is good for 10 yrs, keep it clean and you'll live.
if you have horses around, you could go get it cked, but, myself, i wouldn't worry til i saw a red streak going away from the punture

·
Registered
24,108 Posts
Tetanus shot is good for 10 yrs, keep it clean and you'll live.
if you have horses around, you could go get it cked, but, myself, i wouldn't worry til i saw a red streak going away from the punture
Why if you have horses? Just curious. :)

·
Banned
1,627 Posts
Why if you have horses? Just curious. :)
Tetanus toxoid is the “tetanus shot” most of us have had at one time or another. It is a vaccine against the tetanus toxin and it is part of a horse’s regular vaccination set (just as it is part of a human’s vaccination set). Because dogs and cats are much more resistant to tetanus than are horses and humans, regular vaccination against tetanus is not recommended for them.
yrs ago i stepped on a rusty nail and called the doc, he said to come in for a shot because we had horses, i guess the tetanus toxoid is around more where there is horses. when i was a kid, we were told if we didn't get a shot, we'ed get lock jaw

·
Registered
13,303 Posts
I have mine done every 5 years as a farrier, but you should be ok, call your doc in the morning to be sure.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, we DO have horses... in fact, I was feeding them when it happened... so I think I'll go in 1st thing in the morning.

Phooey.

Oh well.

·
Banned
1,627 Posts
My cousin was kicked in the face by a horse and ended up with lockjaw. Not fun at all. Glad to hear you're going to the Dr.
kicked in the face by a horse, glad he had a jaw left to lock, I had a mare draft horse that was in heat peg me once when i forgot to keep away from her stall, just lucky i was carring a 100 pound bag on feed, her hoof hit the sack of feed instead of my shoulder but still drove me across the barn to the other wall.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Just wanted to send a little sympathy your way. I did something very similar (an old rake tine went through my filthy shoe and well into my foot). I hadn't had a tetanus shot "in donkey's years" (as my DH would say), so I rushed in. We have horses and chickens and ducks (and dogs and cats AND goodness only know what wild critters running around), so I figured better safe than sorry.

And yes, a tetanus shot hurts almost as bad as your foot! But it IS preferable to the alternative! I'll be thinking about you...you will survive. No one's a bigger wimp than I am :chicken:

·
Registered
707 Posts
I stepped on one 18 months ago, tetanus was up to day, so I cleaned it and went on my way. 2 days later was in the ER, where I work as a nurse, with cellulitis. My doc explained that it isn't really what was on the outside of my shoes or the nail itself - evidently you do not want to know what really lurks on the inside of your sneaker - you may never want to wear it again. 2 rounds of antibiotic later and I was all better:D

If your doc wants you to take a round of antibiotics - I would not decline.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Dr explained to me 10 yrs if no puncture wound and then get updated.

But if between 5 & 10 and you have a puncture wound - get a shot.

Recently got my booster shot - my 10 yr renewal -

if we are out at our desert place we are over hr away from routine medical care.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
My stud horse danced on my husband's head- off we went to the E.R.!
He got stitches and a tetanus booster! The booster was at my insistence.
Better safe than sorry! He had no aftermath from the shot!!!! Can't say the same for the razzing he got for not being able to handle the stallion! Much more painful, I'd say!!
Go and get your shot!
I think I might go get one myself- I'm always getting into something!
I'm overdue.

·
1/2 bubble off plumb
8,811 Posts
It was explained to me once as a glass of water. The glass will hold enough "water" for ten years as long as you don't drink it. Being around horses is like slowly sipping the water every day. "Doing something" (read: injuring yourself) is like drinking the water gone. If you have been sipping the water for 5+ yrs then there might not be enough left for the injury.

So, even though the shot is good for 10 yrs, that's only if you don't use it. If you use it on year 3, no problem. But when you do something else 8 months later, go get a shot (your cup is dry). One of my Dr's opinion is if you do something and it has been more then 5 yrs since your last shot, get one. Other Dr's idea is not to bother "keeping it up" just get one when you need it.

·
Loving My Life...
1,626 Posts
About 5 years ago, we were out at my parents on vacation... DH was helping my Dad finish their deck, when he stepped on a nail, that went straight through his shoe & well into his foot.... He couldn't even walk, so my Mom called the ambulance.... After 2 hours in the E.R., we thought he was fine....

Well we ended up back in the E.R. again, and then everyday for 8 days, for an I.V. round of antibiotics....

They had no animals what so ever, and it was that bad.... So yes, please go get it checked....

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Some now claim up to 20 years' protection, but my doctor has me have a booster after about 7 or 8. Old wire fences, critters, compost-y garden. The puncture itself can be a dangerous wound since it doesn't self-clean the way cuts and abrasions will. If you can work blood out of a puncture that's may be all to the good, though I wonder about working dirt or toxins in? I read somewhere that cuts or punctures from glass are worse than metal for tetanus. Anyway, 24 hours is time enough, but go. Sue

G

·
My cousin was kicked in the face by a horse and ended up with lockjaw. Not fun at all. Glad to hear you're going to the Dr.
when I was a kid, my cousin got bit by a dog, and stepped on a nail the same day. When we told him about lockjaw and rabies, he got scared but we told him not to worry, if he had rabies and lockjaw both, at least he couldn't bite us.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts