step in posts

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Unregistered-1427815803, Dec 27, 2003.

1. I was wondering if anyone has used the plastic step-in posts for livestock fence. The kind that I am talking about has an 8 inch spike and is 48 inches tall. It is made of plastic and has about 7 "holders" for electic wires or tape. It is sold by Jeffers and others.

Have you used these?? What did you think? Would this be a viable solution to rocky spots or ledge??

2. chaplain robert

chaplain robert Well-Known Member

I've used both them and the rebar posts with a screw on plastic insulator. Both work great--rebar is cheaper. The only problem I've had with the plastic ones is breakdown from the sun--but I bought cheapos, nice ones are probably stabilized for uv radiation.

If you are talking really rocky ground, rebar hammers in with a whole lot less post damage. Just a thought.

3. Gunner

Gunner Member

I have used the ones sold by Premier Fencing for 2 years now. They are great for temporary fencing and work well with my rotational grazing methods for cattle and sheep. If I hit a rock, I just move it over a bit until I hit dirt again. They can't take a heavy strain from angles or they get a permanent bend to them, but I keep my crooked ones for corners and other odd spots that I want to fence around in other than a straight line. My only real gripe is the bottom wire holder takes a beating from my weed eater. This ain't much of a problem though, because it is so low to the ground that I don't even use this lowest connecter.

4. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

I find the post you described suitable for temprary partition fencing but totally unsuitable for perimeter fencing. The least acceptable, but useable, perimeter fencing in my opinion is T posts

5. mygrayfarm

mygrayfarm Well-Known Member

We have used them as temporary interior fencing, just to block off certain sections of pasture for a few days - giving wet areas a chance to dry out, etc. We have alpacas and they do not challenge fences so the step-in fencing with orange snow fence holds them off nicely. I would not use them for permanent fencing, or with any animal that challenges a fence, or to keep predators out, but if you just need to block off an area for a few days or weeks they are dandy.