Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A co-worker told me today that it was wrong of me to kill animals that were seemingly sick and dying. A few months ago I killed a possum that was so full of mange it couldn't move, and the other day with a kitten with a broken back that had been hit by a car (considered it, by the time I got out of the car another car ran over it). Whenever possible if I hit something on the road I'll stop to make sure it's dead or to see if it's okay, I never thought that this was some type of psychotic behavior, just common courtesy. Ofcourse this person also is against hunting, but will readily consume meat. I'm ready to chalk it up to hypocrisy and ignorance, but thought I'd see what you guys thought about it.

·
Premium Member
5,937 Posts
Forget him - the other day I was cutting hay and saw a gang of crows with a rabbit. The rabbit had mixy and I think I had run over it's back legs the crows were trying to eat it alive. I shut down the tractor and broke it's neck - then left it for the crows.

It's the circle of life and all that but I don't see why anyone should let an animal suffer.

hoggie

·
Accidental Farmer
14,837 Posts
Why should you let something suffer an agonizing death, just because someone has been bambified?

·
Registered
746 Posts
The last poor critter I hit with a car I stopped got out and had to break it's neck. I see it as putting it out of it's misery or easing it's pain.
I went up to the house and told the owner. I was all welped up and all sorry about it.
The owner thanked me and was glad to hear that there pet didn't suffer.
It was an old deaf dog that stepped right out of tall weeds into my path.
The owner was very apologetic and to a certain extent relieved. They knew it was just a matter of time before it would happen. I still couldn't help crying.

·
Premium Member
10,357 Posts
I just had to put down my own dog a couple days ago, so this one hits close to home. How could I NOT put her out of her misery - to let her suffer would have been cruel. A faithful companion for 15 and a half years - a very long time for a Golden cross - deserves better than to have to wait out the end of her life in pain. I was hoping she would just go peacefully in her sleep, but that wasn't to be. I'm so sad not to have her with me now, but at peace with my choice.

As far as your co-worker goes, what everyone else said. :rolleyes:

·
Halfway, OR & Wagoner, OK
3,306 Posts
People who live with animals understand. We have had to put down many of our beloved horses and dogs. It's hard, but it 's the humane thing to do.

·
Very Dairy
14,609 Posts
Whenever possible if I hit something on the road I'll stop to make sure it's dead or to see if it's okay,
I do, too. In fact, I got one of my best cats that way ...

Turns out he was just banged up and in shock, but if I'd left him out on the pavement, on a freezing morning, he might have died from hypothermia, or been hit by another vehicle.

The vet said I ought to name him Lucky, so I did.

Never found his owner, so he became part of my feline family ...

·
Registered
5,553 Posts
I have great respect for anyone who has the courage and will to always to what is best for the animals, I sure could use some of it myself. I would only find fault with someone who got some sort of pleasure from the act, as others have mentioned it's never easy, and if the day comes when it is, then and only then should you concern yourself.

Perhaps you could get some reading material on what it takes to become a wildlife rehabitator and give those out to the people who are so concerned about the welfare of animals :) But be ready for skimish looks and lots of, "Oh, I could never do that."

Hugs,
Marlene

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Wind in Her Hair said:
God gave us dominion over the animals and a tender heart to go with that. It is our duty to relieve suffering when we see it and can intervene.
I brake for injured animals and then do what has to be done for them ...otherwise, I could not sleep at night, knowing that somewhere out there -something was suffering needlessly and slowly dying when I could have stepped in and ended its suffering.
This is a great way to put it. We get a lot of hit by car deer around here.

·
Premium Member
15,516 Posts
Wind in Her Hair said:
God gave us dominion over the animals and a tender heart to go with that. It is our duty to relieve suffering when we see it and can intervene.
I brake for injured animals and then do what has to be done for them ...otherwise, I could not sleep at night, knowing that somewhere out there -something was suffering needlessly and slowly dying when I could have stepped in and ended its suffering.
Me too and I get all teary eyed and choked up everytime! BUT, it's hard for me to see any living creature suffer needlessly.

·
Übernerd
502 Posts
I'm not sure that I could personally just break the animal's neck (though thankfully, I haven't been in a position where I've had to put this to the test), but at the very least, I would absolutely stop, get out of the car, and take it to a vet if it wasn't all right. I can't imagine just leaving an animal to suffer that way- I wouldn't do it to one of my pets, and I wouldn't want someone to do it to mine. In cases where they're clearly beyond help, I think it's the kindest thing to make sure they're put down with as little pain as possible.

And on the hunting thing, being totally against any/all hunting if you're a meat eater is just silly. I have no patience for that novelty hunting where you get some rich moron who's never fired a rifle in his life being taken out to the Serengeti, having his guide aim the weapon and then letting him pull the trigger so he can have a cheetah head on his wall, but as long as someone hunts legally and eats what they kill, I can't see a problem with that. In the case of deer and rabbits and such, there actually is a need for population control, anyway. And really, I'd rather eat meat from an animal that lived happily in the wild, roaming free and dying quickly and painlessly than meat from some poor, factory-farmed cow.

·
CF, Classroom & Books Mod
9,934 Posts
MarleneS said:
I have great respect for anyone who has the courage and will to always to what is best for the animals, I sure could use some of it myself. I would only find fault with someone who got some sort of pleasure from the act, as others have mentioned it's never easy, and if the day comes when it is, then and only then should you concern yourself.

This is exactly the problem. In a society where most people don't do things if they aren't pleasant -- where people avoid the "hard" work, or "hard" decisions, some cannot possibly comprehend that sometimes, things have to be done, even when there is no pleasure in the act.

Ergo, if you do this sort of thing, you must enjoy it, and therefore, you're a freak.

One more way in which our society is doing a slow, downward spiral.

Tracy

·
Premium Member
17,383 Posts
Chalk it up to hypocracy and ignorance.

Tell him that in a forum where no one agrees about anything that everyone agrees with you.

·
CF, Classroom & Books Mod
9,934 Posts
Faustus said:
And really, I'd rather eat meat from an animal that lived happily in the wild, roaming free and dying quickly and painlessly than meat from some poor, factory-farmed cow.
Careful -- you don't want to say that too loud. It's not "acceptable thought" you know, and you never know who could be listening. :)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts