step down drop nest

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by bob clark, Sep 1, 2006.

1. bob clark

bob clark A man's man

well, I have it done. a step down drop nest

it is mounted on the out side of the cage and is made of 1/2x1 wire.the doe enters the nest onto a step as to not be so likely to jump down on kits

I went to take pics but the battery was dead. I will have pics up today thogh

she is due in 4 days but i am going to allow her to use the box early as it is kinda strange to her

I am very optomistic about this new design. it could be lined with cardboard or wraped in something to keep it warmer in the winter

I am not that happy with the lid design but i can learn alot about how she likes it before worrying about the lid.

it is made of scrap wire and the cage is not that great but i wanted to get the design down pat before investing in new cages and nest boxes

I must not have a life , because this is exciting to me :dance:

2. MaggieJ

MaggieJ Well-Known Member Supporter

It's always exciting to find a better way of doing something for the critters. :cool:

I will be very interested to see pictures and expect a full report on how well it works when your doe kindles. :hobbyhors

3. bob clark

bob clark A man's man

here are the photos. I hope you can figure out how i did it . I will be posting as to how it works as well . I hope she got bred alright

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. bob clark

bob clark A man's man

I dont think this design would work well with low top opening cages because as you can see in the pics it puts the bottom of the nest pretty low to the ground. I worry about it being easyer for rodents and preditors to get to the kits. if it works well i plan to hang the cages and have them up off the ground pretty good

5. Pat Lamar

Pat Lamar Well-Known Member Supporter

That was my concern, as well, Bob. And... the nest box does appear to be deeper than what is actually needed, too. Good thing you put that step there... I just hope she doesn't fall from it and hurt herself or the kits!

Pat Lamar
    President
    Professional Rabbit Meat Association
    http://www.prma.org/
    Chairperson, ARBA Commercial Department Committee

6. bob clark

bob clark A man's man

its not as bad as it looks. the first step down is 4 inches and the second is 5.

i made it plenty deep so there was plenty of room for bedding. with the bedding in it the first step is only 3 inches and the second is 3 as well.

I looked at the breeding records again and she is not due till the 7th

I added a door so i can lock her out till she kindles and i can keep her out of the kits except for feeding.

7. Jennifer L.

Jennifer L. Well-Known Member Supporter

Wow, Bob, that looks like a Rabbit Condo! :) Thanks for putting the pictures up--makes it easier to understand what you've done. Looks like a good job. :)

Jennifer

8. pasotami

pasotami Hangin out at the barn!

That's neat! I have to ask, do you think it will be hard for the kits to get out when they are old enough? Can they jump that far?

9. bob clark

bob clark A man's man

I have had broblems with the kits jumping out at 10 to 14 days when i use a box that is the recomended 9 inches high. then they cant get back in to warm up. I then have to turn the box on its side . this letts all the bedding get pulled out onto the wire

with deep bedding in this drop nest they dont have to jump more than 3 inches. it just looks deep when it has no bedding in it. one reason i made it so deep was that in the winter a doe could dig down to the wire thous letting air draft up into the kits. so in the winter i will put a piece of card board in the bottom then an inch of hay then a wire insert then more hay. so the doe cant digg all the way letting air blow up in

If kits do come out at 10 days they can find thier way back in with no problem. since they no longer will have to jump up to get in. this design emulates nature better than any i have seen in the past.

I may have to install pee guards up 2or 3 inches from the floor and also down the outside of the nest below the floor line. it all depends where the doe normaly goes pee

10. pasotami

pasotami Hangin out at the barn!

That's a great plan. It sure looks a lot deeper than 3 inches but I was not thinking of the bedding. Here in the summer I have problems of fly lavea and as soon as the kits are able to jump out of the box, the box is gone. This has worried me on the smallest bunnies so I put hay in the hutch so they can get on top of it. This leaves the little ones a little cold at night also....
    What type of wire did you use on the bottom and sides? would it be the baby-saver or smaller so their little legs don't find a hole (my other worry of a wire nesting box - my little ones dig).

11. bob clark

bob clark A man's man

the bottom and sides are 1/2 x 1 16 ga. welded wire. I plan to go to 14 ga.

12. bob clark

bob clark A man's man

i have had two does due in the last week and they have not kindled. the one with the drop box is one day past due. i hope she has them tonight.

13. bob clark

bob clark A man's man

she didnt kindle. dont think she will now

thats just my luck . i guess we will have to find out about the drop box design later. I wount post ahead again . i will wait till there are kits born before posting