Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello?

Can anyone weigh in on this please. I’m building at tiny home on a stem wall foundation.

As follows:
200 ft.². (20x10)
Stem Wall Foundation
Two story (w/lofts and cat walk)
Single pitch metal roof.
Cedar shake siding.
We are off grid so ...light plumbing- composting toilet and smaller appliances should be considered.

Here’s what I’m thinking for my stem wall foundation.

Stem Wall: 4’ x 6”(w)

#3 bar throughout.

Structure is gunna weigh roughly 10,000lbs.

We are in Western WA.

Thanks for helping me out! ✌

·
Premium Member
5,905 Posts

Since this is obviously never going down a roadway, the primary reason for going narrow, I'd seriously consider going wider....12 to 16'. Make no sense to confine yourself to a narrow box if you don't have to.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Agree with going wider. Also agree that 4x4 would be easier and cheaper. 2 sides will carry the weight. You don't need a stem wall on the other 2 sides. A half dozen 4x4 on each long side should be enough with decent soil. If not space them closer together.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the excellent so far. I know I’m way over building this, however we want the structure to last a super long time.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Is 10" deep enough for a footer there? Does it freeze much where you are?

I gotta build one soon too, probably using block. Are you pouring yours?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’m going with a 12” thick footer now. Our frost line is 12” out here. The footer will be about 3’ below grade.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK so 8 inch thick footer with a 8 inch thick 4 foot wall. And yeah I won’t debate that I am overthinking this or over building it. I appreciate everybody’s input.

·
Premium Member
2,720 Posts
60' Lineal feet of wall with 12" thick x 18" wide footing = 3.33 CY of concrete. At 8" thickness it requires 2.23 CY.
Pretty incidental difference here, and same with the stem wall thickness. You'll have a lot more $$ in the time, excavation, backfill and form work than you will in that one CY of concrete. Just do whatever you are comfortable with, your first plan will work fine.

·
Otiose Endomorph
3,613 Posts
Hello?

Can anyone weigh in on this please. I’m building at tiny home on a stem wall foundation.

As follows:
200 ft.². (20x10)
Stem Wall Foundation
Two story (w/lofts and cat walk)
Single pitch metal roof.
Cedar shake siding.
We are off grid so ...light plumbing- composting toilet and smaller appliances should be considered.

Here’s what I’m thinking for my stem wall foundation.

Stem Wall: 4’ x 6”(w)

#3 bar throughout.

Structure is gunna weigh roughly 10,000lbs.

We are in Western WA.

Thanks for helping me out! ✌
I'd go with #4 rebar...#3 is a tad light, and rarely used for foundation walls around here, if ever....
No need to go so deep 3' if your dealing with a 12" frost depth...the important thing is to get to firm soil, whatever the depth.
I'm with others on making it wider...you'll be cramped before you start.
I like your footer size for size of house...while slightly overkill, your foundation is everything, and it is a bugger to fix after the fact. Assume 2x6 framing?
Do you plan to have main floor off ground or are you pouring a concrete floor? My stem wall would be designed with whatever you have in mind.
Concrete is relatively cheap...assume you can get a truck to site? Do a single pour if you can for footings and stem wall.

·
Registered
15,053 Posts
I'd go with #4 rebar...#3 is a tad light, and rarely used for foundation walls around here, if ever....
No need to go so deep 3' if your dealing with a 12" frost depth...the important thing is to get to firm soil, whatever the depth.
I'm with others on making it wider...you'll be cramped before you start.
I like your footer size for size of house...while slightly overkill, your foundation is everything, and it is a bugger to fix after the fact. Assume 2x6 framing?
Do you plan to have main floor off ground or are you pouring a concrete floor? My stem wall would be designed with whatever you have in mind.
Concrete is relatively cheap...assume you can get a truck to site? Do a single pour if you can for footings and stem wall.
Good catch. I didn't notice that the first time I looked at it. In my defense It is late and I had a long day ;).

·
Otiose Endomorph
3,613 Posts
Good catch. I didn't notice that the first time I looked at it. In my defense It is late and I had a long day ;).
I never go to lumber store and ask for #3, #4, #5 rebar...most yard staff wouldn't have clue what I was talking about...lol
Heck, I've ended up with a whack of 5/8" (#5) when I asked for 1/2" (#4) (they delivered)...I told owner about it, as a courtesy (to remind yard staff to measure rebar diameter if they are unsure, or to look at embossed diameter stamped on them). Owner asked I return it...I said no. If he really wants it, he can get it. The conversation died right there. Hauling 20' lengths of rebar is a hassle.
It isn't like he lost money...he just made less.
At any rate, the pad I was doing is strong now....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Rebar size noted. In regards to the 10‘ x 20‘ vs 12’6x16’...

The 10 x 20’ just gets the upper lofts separated further apart. My wife spent a couple of days working on the design to scale, and it’s what we have settled with. It’s possibly still up for debate though.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts