Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a steer that is 11 months old. What would be the minimum size for it to be worth our while to bring to processor? Trying to make some decisions based on how low the beef is in my freezer. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,279 Posts
Not an expert here, but the answer may depend on the breed, if grass fed, if grain finished, and your location. A couple of good photos wouldn't hurt either. You'll get better information from people.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok great.ideas. Thanks. He is an Angus/ Jersey mix. He.is on grass and has been most his life. I don't have any pics right now.

·
My name is not Alice
4,185 Posts
I think my minimum "freezer is echoing like the Grand Canyon" number would be about 800 lbs. I haven't ever pulled the trigger that early, though. I spread the love around when it comes to protein, so when that smallish steer is starting to look tasty, I'll load up on lamb or chickens to get by until he catches up.

It is a highly personal question. We are feeding a family of four, so the cuts can't be too tiny. Give us a couple of years after the kids move out, and we may be more apt to eat a little fella.

·
Registered
146 Posts
we butchered a young bull that we bought at 242 lbs. hanging weight. meat was good and tender but lean. he had a little mean streak in him and needed to go.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The last Angus/Jersey I butchered was 950 live hung at about 475 he was tasty but the steaks were a little small is all. It is hard to get them much bigger than that with any kind of economy they grow so slow. Eat him now and get another to start and go with a different cross. Try Galloway/Angus for a real treat.:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts