Steel House???

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by JessieGirl, Sep 15, 2004.

1. JessieGirl

JessieGirl Well-Known Member

Hi There...

I have been lurking for a long time...but decided to finally post because I respect alot of the people/information here.

Does anyone here live in a steel house? My husband came home yesterday and told me that he went to bid (he's an electrical contractor) on wiring a steel house. He took pictures and showed me the website. The house looks just like a regular house.

The man he was bidding for bought this house (1980 sq ft, fully roofed, fully sided, and with interior studs) for 33,000.00. That price is really good, it seems, because all you really have to do is make sure you have a foundation, electrical, plumbing, and then any frills you want.

Does anyone have any experience with these homes? Their website is www.allsteelhomes.com and I'm pretty impressed. Hubby is also thinking this might be our next move.

By the way, we own 5 acres of desert about 50 miles NW of Phoenix...but it is so desolate out there. Not sure we are ready to make that move yet...but it's fun to dream about :)

Thanks for any input!

Jess

2. Lt. Wombat

Lt. Wombat Well-Known Member

We had an all steel in California. No difference once the sheetrock is up. You can't re-use stud holls if they strip out unless you go with a bigger metal screw.

The biggest advantage was the break on homeowners insurance.

3. bonnie in indiana

bonnie in indiana Well-Known Member

I have seen a few go up here in Indiana. I used to be an Engineering Tech and did quality control on construction materials.

They look awsome going up when the sun is setting and all the metal is reflecting the rays.

I was told that they are safer from fire,
    the insurance is cheaper
    the price is compairable to the price of wood now days.

I think that we will be seeing a lot more metal framed housed in the future.

4. JessieGirl

Thanks for the replies. I would love to hear anything anyone has to say about them good or bad. Hubby is getting really serious about ordering one.

5. Kenneth in NC

Kenneth in NC Well-Known Member

JessieGirl

A contractor locale bought the 4-plex. He put his son and family in one and his daughter in the other on top. He put in a B-I-G glass pass through and used the bottom two as his place. He often brags that he got out for under $100,000 fully furnished. Each plex is 1100 square feet of living space.

Heritage Steel also builds this type home. Before commiting to any one I'd research all the available builders and packages they offer.

Here's a few sites to check out.

www.heritagebuildings.com

www.tri-steel.com

www.excalibursteel.com

www.contractor.com/steelhomes

6. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm very impressed with the idea of steel construction for housing. My only question is, do they attract lightning?
    mary

7. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

Do :p :p they attract magnets? (or maybe magnetic fields!) :p

8. JessieGirl

The website www.allsteelhomes.com has alot of info. They say that you are not more likely to be struck in a steel house than wood, however, the steel house is grounded, so the lightning would go straight into the earth. With a wood house, it will blow a hole in your roof and start a fire. At least that is how they explained it.

As for magnets, I don't know ;) Ha ha...(actually it is vinyl coated, so probably not).

Thanks again for all the comments!

9. JessieGirl

Thanks so much, Kenneth! Everyone is so helpful on here. The 4-plex does look really cool...never thought about it for a family. They advertised it for rental property...which seemed really smart, especially if your cost estimate is accurate!

10. desdawg

desdawg Well-Known Member

Some friends of mine build steel frame houses and have three that you can look at. We are in the Maricopa area south of Phoenix. They have a website and the address is elitestructures@yahoo.com. Their phone numbers are listed on the website. One of the homes is completely off grid so you can get a peek at a solar electric system at the same time if you take a drive our direction. From all outward appearances you can't tell the difference between stick built or steel frame. But the fire ratings are considerably different. Think insurance. All three are very nice homes and are occupied by the guys who build them and their families.

11. JessieGirl

Thanks for the info...I checked out their website. Nice to know that it is done locally.

Just curious...do you live off grid? Are you in the city Maricopa? We have land out past Wittmann (down Grand Ave to Patton and then all the way to like 339th Ave). Really far out there (we got the 5 acres for $10,000 2 yrs ago) so we haven't made the move out there (although I would like to, hubby thinks he would go crazy all the way out there). Doesn't seem to be a lot of homesteaders on here from the Phoenix area.

Are you self-sufficient on your land? Like with a garden, animals, and the whole deal. Seems like it would be difficult to do here with the summer heat. I'm wondering how difficult it is.

Well, thanks again!

Jess

12. New Mexican

New Mexican Well-Known Member

Gosh, my dh has always said he'd like to live in a metal structure. Our garage is steel and very nice. I don't mind one bit actually. We are an "off-the-beaten-path" type couple so impressing others is NOT the key here. It's value, safety, practicallity and comfort.

13. JessieGirl

They actually look very nice...they have steel siding (wood grain) that is coated in vinyl of some sort. So it looks just like any house with siding. The roof is the same material...but I think they look just like any other house, expect w/o shingles (but you could put those on if you wanted). It does make sense to use steel to build...makes you wonder why it isn't more common. At least it isn't in the Southwest.

14. New Mexican

Hi Jessie

You are right.....steel housing is not very prominent in the SW. there are more mobile homes but I would much rather have steel...........it withstands the wind MUCH better!!

Isn't desert living fun?? :D I may have misread your orig post.....but do you LIVE in PHX or just own the land?

15. JessieGirl

Hi There, New Mexican...it's nice to "meet" you!

Yes, we live about 30 miles NW of Phoenix in a town called Surprise. The home we currently own is in a subdivision in a very populated area (HOA and all, yuck!). We traded some work for 5 acres about 25 miles or so further NW of here...in a very desolate area. But homes and industry are moving out that way...so it won't be too far out from everything in 10 years or so.

The desert IS beautiful...looking forward to is cooling off a little soon! Do you homestead in New Mexico? We don't, but I like the idea. Hubby thinks I am crazy when I start talking about living off the land and moving way out away from everything. But he does like the idea of being self-sufficient. I think we'll eventually strike a happy medium. In the meantime...maybe I'll plant a garden :)

Have a great evening!
    Jess

16. New Mexican

Yes, we "homestead" here. In fact, it is authentic too! Homestead, according to the dictionary, is the "original dwelling place" and we have lived here since we married 8 yrs ago. DH had the place first. Built it from ground DIRT.....now we have many pine trees, gardens, pistachio trees, hens, dogs, cats, two out buildings, lots of chain link all on ONE acre. We abut BLM land so it's wonderful to have a HUGE backyard!

PM me if you ever feel the need!!

His daughter and SIL live in Tucson......way hot for us! We only visit in March and Nov!! LOL!!

17. PACrofter

PACrofter Well-Known Member

Has anybody seen steel houses combined with passive solar/earth-bermed houses? I like the permanence of steel, but I want to build something underground (at least partially). Is the steel coated in some way to prevent rust?