steel cargo containers

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by campergirl, Jun 7, 2005.

1. campergirl

campergirl Member

I sure could use a shipping container for storage, but they are so expensive. I called a company to ask about the high price. His reply was blame Bush..with the war going on he is using the containers for his political ad campain.

Sure would be nice to get my hands on one. No more hauling stuff back and forth to the home site, paying for storage....etc....etc....

2. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

My understanding is that so many come into the west coast & then are hauled throught the USA and kind of in suplus at those terminals, that they actually cost more on the west coast even tho so many pass through your ports... As well the population out there is demanding those available so the supply is tight in your area.

Not sure on your political agenda, no sense I can make of it, but good luck in the search.

--->Paul

3. Wolf mom

Wolf mom Well-Known Member

In Phoenix they cost about $2000 for a 40 ft one. Look around I got a good buy, in Phoenix, on mine because the owner was just starting his business. He put a door in the side and a divider inside in the middle, also 2 wind turbines. I had to drive the used car parts, warehouse district to find it.

When you consider what it would cost square foot to build, plus being movable, it's a good buy. No taxes on it either.

The other option is a truck trailer box. They are not as expensive, some are insulated (refrigerator) boxes and they don't sit as close to the ground - even with wheels off.

Persevere! You'll find one! :)

4. Sparticle

Sparticle Well-Known Member Supporter

I live within a reasonable about of time from the Port of Houston. My brother and I are looking for a used truck trailer to put in the yard and use as a storage shed. It would have to be painted a nice color of course so it would blend in with the trees.

5. cruiser3006

cruiser3006 Active Member

Campergirl;
    You might check with Boyer barge lines (in Seattle area). A year or so ago, they had numerous used cargo containers, that they sold for less than $1000 ea. They are still servicable for private use and they do sell to private individuals. You should be able to find their # in the phone book.

6. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

I'm not sure that bush haas anything to do with it, but the price of all steel products have skyrocketted. The Chinese and Japanese are buying it up. What are they building? buildings or a fleet?

7. wy0mn

wy0mn Transplanted RedNeck

I researched these heavily about three years ago. At that time www.gmodal.com had the cheapest on the web, with numerous depots.
    They have changed names three times in three years, I don't know the deal there, but Memphis is a large port city & their business is still booming regardless of the name changes.
    Beware of used ones, they have usually been so doused with insecticides/fungicides & herbicides that a normal person can't stand downwind of one.

8. ibcnya

ibcnya Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if the Japanese are buying up steel so much as the Chinese. And what are they building? A Fleet. One that can take back Taiwan and whatever else they want. And if you're shopping at Wal-mart, you are financing your own --- whipping later. Just my opinion.

9. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

the contaniers should run about $800. and up ,you can get a pup trl 4 about the same price and theres no taxes on it as with the container there would be.

10. leaping leon

leaping leon Well-Known Member

I got a refridgerated container, minus the refridgeration unit for $2,000. Just got it delivered last Friday. It has some wear and tear, one hole I could have put two fists through that I patched with fiberglass and aluminum sheet metal on the outside and that canned insulation stuff on the inside. We put plywood on the floor because it has the deep grooves common to reefer trucks and I didn't want to lose things; or have furniture with legs, like chairs, that wouldn't sit even on the grooves. We're going to put a window in the opening where the reefer unit used to be, and use it for light and ventilation.

I was sold on it when I walked into it on the lot of Handi-Storage down here in Florida...the temperature was cooking on the lot, I was estimating that I was good for about 30 minutes before I would pass out from the heat; but the temperature was amazingly cooler inside the insulated container, it seemed about twenty degrees cooler.

Another good thing is that containers are rated for at least a 120 mph wind load, without being tied down; and some of them are rated higher. My container has tie-down "loops" on the corners so it can be tied down; I assume most of them have this. We're going to tie it down, and may use it for a storm shelter. Ours is heavier than usual I believe, it weighs about 12,000 pounds.

Good luck, I hope you find something in good condition you can afford.