steel cables and supplies - web sites?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Paul Wheaton, May 2, 2004.

1. Paul Wheaton

Paul Wheaton Well-Known Member

I seem to be striking out looking for steel cables and supplies. Anybody know of a good source?

2. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

3. Blu3duk

Blu3duk Well-Known Member

I get the wholesale catalog from Tek Supply www.teksupply.com which has a host of corporate farm supply items that can be useful to the small homesteader a swell, although i have not ordered from them, they look to be a place that even a small retailer could get a good deal from [all you need is a state reseller permission tax number]. If not a reseller then their retail outlet is not to bad in pricing www.farmtek.com

I also get the surpluscenter catalog above out of nebraska, but they wont pay shipping cost and out here in zone 5 or 6 it gets expensive on heavy items like cable.

before going to far from home you might try the case, cat and JD dealerships in Spokane as they carry wire rope for logging equipment and so forth, depending upon the size you need.

www.scroungecentral.com is the outlet for teksupply closeouts, they have a few cables that are short pieces, odd size, for reasonable price you have to d/l the acrobat files [.pdf] to see the current list so you need adobe acrobat reader installed but most floks' computers have some sort of version or another.

I just bought a roll of 3/16 for $57 from the local hardware store, so check around locally before ordering online!!!!

4. bare

bare Head Muderator

What size cable and how much do you need Paul?

5. gobug

gobug Well-Known Member Supporter

I buy aircraft cable here in Denver for 10 cents a foot. But then, steel prices have gone up a lot lately, so the 10 cents is history. I like the aircraft cable because the tensile strength is much higher. Its much cheaper than the same strength of other cables. Another plus is the diameter is small so I can use cheaper tools. The cutter and swage tool were only about $15 each. The ferules were also cheap.

Check your local big city yellow pages under "wire rope."

6. Paul Wheaton

Paul Wheaton Well-Known Member

I need about a hundred feet of cable to hold a tree fort up in the air.

The sites provided have given me a great deal of education. Such as the word "turnbuckle"!

At this point, I think the stuff I want would be 1/4 inch with a vinyl coating. Any problems with the vinyl coating?

7. gobug

gobug Well-Known Member Supporter

Holding up a tree fort with your children inside is a pretty important job.

I would estimate the load and check the stats on the cable lable. The 1/4" vinyl is not necessarily stronger. It would be nice around the kids. My biggest worry would be the connections. If you use those little clamp thingys to connect the cable to the turnbuckle, they could work loose. You might take the cable to a shop with the tools to make permanent loops through the ends of the turnbuckle. The wire rope places will have the tool and it'll only cost a few bucks to have them make a safe connection. You will probably beat the home depot price on the cable and save a little towards proper connections.

8. horselogger

horselogger Well-Known Member

Look for caterpillar;they probably will know who does cable rigginng in your area.