Steam Canner for the 'stead?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by WildernesFamily, Jul 24, 2006.

1. WildernesFamily

WildernesFamily Milk Maid

2. Micahn

Micahn Well-Known Member

My mother and other family members that canned things always used one that was like a big pot and the water covered the cans. I remember as a kid helping them out and to me it was a lot of fun.

3. OD

OD Well-Known Member

I have one & I like it much better than a waterbath canner. It only takes 2 quarts of water instead of 3 or 4 gallons.
    It can only be used for canning high acid foods, such as tomatoes, jellies, etc, though. You will need a pressure canner for everything else.

4. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

I am confused about the steam canner thing. I have read (and darned if I can remember where, either over on Garden Web or on the USDA info site) that steam canning is not considered safe as water bath. But if it works, it would certainly save a LOT of water!

Pony!

5. OD

OD Well-Known Member

I read that somewhere, too, Pony, but I have been using mine for about 10 years, & we haven't been poisoned yet.

6. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

Well, there ya go!

I think I may keep my eye open on freecycle and at garage sales for one. I'd at least like to give it a try. :)

Pony!

7. WildernesFamily

WildernesFamily Milk Maid

Thanks all! OD, based on what you said I think I'll give it a whirl! Definitely a water saver :)

Thanks!

~ Jane

8. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

I've canned many a jar in the solar oven. Only high acid foods tho. Meats and low acid foods I use a pressure canner for. The solar oven takes longer to process, but uses no fuel and no water.

9. nodak3

nodak3 Well-Known Member Supporter

I use a steam canner instead of water bath. I once asked the county home economist why they are NOT recommended, and she said it was because too many people confused them with pressure canners. She also suggested that I watch the stuff carefully and see if it kept as well. It does. My friend uses her pressure canner as a steam canner. She puts a metal pie plate in the bottom, then the rack. She leaves the pet cock off so steam vents constantly. Works for her.

Now, having said all that, I like it fine for fruits, jams, and pickles. I pressure can tomatoes.

10. 4PIGS

4PIGS Well-Known Member

What are you thinking? "A" Steam Canner? You must have at least 2!
    I have been using this method for many years, since becoming a Master Preserver. I have a stove with 2 large burners and can steam-can bottles of whole fruit in one and start the juice going in the other. This makes for a quicker canning day. Good luck with your canning adventures.

11. OD

OD Well-Known Member