Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The last two evenings someone has jumped from a vehicle and grabbed the money from the Salvation Army kettle jumped back into the vehicle and sped away. This happened in Meridian, MS. This afternoon they grabbed around $600.00.

The bellringers are quitting because of the danger.

Some people are truly heartless.:mad:

SGG

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
I guess it's a sign of the time, unfortunately. People are out of work and getting desperate.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I guess it's a sign of the time, unfortunately. People are out of work and getting desperate.
Out of work or desperate people don't do things like that. Criminals do those types of things and they do them regardless of economic conditions. When they find the perpetrators I can guarantee you they won't be a couple of out of work plumbers who were stealing Salvation Army kettles to feed their pourenstarvin chillins.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
It's really sad what some people will do. I wouldn't want to be them on Judgement Day when they have to explain to God why they did what they did.

·
Waste of bandwidth
10,618 Posts
It's really sad what some people will do. I wouldn't want to be them on Judgement Day when they have to explain to God why they did what they did.

This is an unforgivable sin. The consequence is that you will have a tambourine player follow you for your entire eternal life.

If, at some point, you turn your life around and find redemption, you will get a pretty good tambourine player. But that sound will always be there.

If you continue your wicked ways and perhaps even fall into the company of cats, in addition to roasting in the eternal fire (Sizzle. Sizzle. Pop!), you will be saddled with the most unimaginably bad tambourine player that might even sing with a fingernails-on-chalkboard voice. Tormented souls that find some sort of minor relief dancing to that tortured music will always surround you.

Steal two kettles, and be ready for an eternity of that "Ding! Ding! Da Ding!" bell.

·
Registered
11,076 Posts
Sounds like a job for undercover police officers administrating a little .45 caliber vigilante justice. Boom, no more problem, trial, jail fees, etc. Where is Judge Roy Bean when you need him anyway?

·
Registered
146 Posts
I'm a volunteer bell ringer for the Sallies. The tops of our kettles are padlocked to the bottoms; and the kettles are padlocked to the - heavy, awkward - metal stands as well. Someone attempting to grab and kettle and run would probably end up with a concussion from the stand falling on their head. Now, I guess if you came complete with bolt cutters, you could swipe a kettle, but that's going to give me time to take a photo of you and your vehicle with my cell phone...

·
Registered
8,830 Posts
There are some folks that will steal a hot stove and come back for the smoke :nono: While back someone stole my sideboards for my truck an lots of spare parts :mad: After i cooled of i was glad i didn't catch them .Need to put cable's across all my drive ways .Think some people were raised by wild dogs :shrug:

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The guys were arrested yesterday when they tried to steal another kettle. The two kettles along with the stands were found near the house where the guys were staying. The nuts tried to burn them. LOL Idiots. I don't usually call anyone an idiot but that is what those two acted like. The first robbery was at the Sam's Club on Tuesday evening around five o'clock. The second was on Wednesday at the Wal-Mart on the southeastern part of town. Thursday the two went to the Wal-mart in the northern part of town. That's where the cops were watching for them.

They hit about the same time all three days.

One of the guys is nineteen and the other is twenty. The reporter made a statement that if they are convicted they can be sentenced up to a maximum of three years. Three years....no wonder we have such a high crime rate in the U.S.A.

OK. I feel better. LOL These robberies really made me angry.

SGG

·
Premium Member
1,957 Posts
I deliver kettles for the sallies. Been known to ring for someone needing a brake. I keep a cell phone and a camera on me at all time (and a note pad and pen). I was raised by a cop. I will give them the kettle but I will have thier licence plate memorized and pics taken before they get too far. I cannot understand the mindset of two men that young stealing and not working. Some days I feel far older than 53.
And those stands are heavy and bulky. I moved several around town this week. I can't imagine running away with one.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I was sitting in the parking lot near one of those kettles today and people were shoveling money into it. I rarely seen someone walk by without putting money in. not just spare change either. people stopped, opening their wallets and purses and stuck wads of bills in them. Nice to see.

And yes I put a 20 in there myself. I'm not heartless despite popular opinion.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I deliver kettles for the sallies. Been known to ring for someone needing a brake. I keep a cell phone and a camera on me at all time (and a note pad and pen). I was raised by a cop. I will give them the kettle but I will have thier licence plate memorized and pics taken before they get too far. I cannot understand the mindset of two men that young stealing and not working. Some days I feel far older than 53.
And those stands are heavy and bulky. I moved several around town this week. I can't imagine running away with one.
I wondered about this too but the bellringer and other witnesses told the same stories.

The reporter said that only $200.00 of the money was recovered. I think the thieves should have to stand in the cold and ring the bells for several years. That should do more good than sitting in jail watching t.v. and complaining about the food.

SGG

·
Premium Member
6,395 Posts
I'm a bellringer for the Salvation Army and many, many people get emotional as they put money in the bell and tell me stories of the ways the Salvation Army has helped them. Many people tell me stories of WW2 vets who were helped by the Salvation army (food, hospitality?). They give consistently for generations to the Salvation Army and Red Cross for this reason, among others.

I'd like to also second what was said about desparately poor people are not the ones who are doing things like this. It's the egocentric criminal ones who do these things.

·
Premium Member
4,055 Posts
big chain (you could also use it to lock the kettle)

·
Registered
13,853 Posts
I was sitting in the parking lot near one of those kettles today and people were shoveling money into it. I rarely seen someone walk by without putting money in. not just spare change either. people stopped, opening their wallets and purses and stuck wads of bills in them. Nice to see.

And yes I put a 20 in there myself. I'm not heartless despite popular opinion.
Good outweighs evil. Always has, always will. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts