Stealing Goats?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Tarot Farm, Jul 31, 2005.

1. Tarot Farm

Tarot Farm Well-Known Member

I had someone try and steal my large Boer buck. They managed to get him out of the pen before he got a good hold on them....I found a hunk of yellow t-shirt on one horn and torn threads on the other one.... :clap:

He must have chased them to the barn, as that is where I found him laying down next to the hay bales. I am thankful he did not go out browsing in one of the large cornfields next to the property!

I talked to some other people about why they would want to steal such a large goat...maybe for the meat? I did not think so. For the large horns, maybe....but then one of them told me that he was asked about a week ago if he knew of any large 'billy goats' around. He said that the testicles were being used for some sort of medicine (Chinese maybe?) and they were paying a lot of money for them. All that the man wanted the male goats for, was to 'cut off the testicles'. I was told that he stopped at several farms and was looking for male goats.

Has anyone heard of something like this going on? Or is it a local thing that I have to worry about now? I live in an area with lots of people from other countries moving in. Does anyone know of people using goat testicles for medicine?

I have padlocks on my gates already.

I also had some laying hens and a large cage stolen the same time as they tried to steal the goat. :flame:

2. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

:flame: good for your buck!!!!!!!!!I have a friend that had all his goats taken , here a few months back.
    and I have run some people off, that were trying to steel some of mine.
    the shot gun fired in the air, put a stop to that in a hurry, as did my dogs. :grump: I don't think that they will be back, anytime soon. :viking:

3. Tarot Farm

My buck has a good set of 'handlebars' and he does know what to do with them too! My husband is a big guy and he does not go near him. I think that I am the only one who can really handle him and he outweighs me by a bit. I can lead him just like a big dog and I have a chain around his neck so I can move him from pen to pen.

What is with these peoplw wanting to steal goats? It cannot be for the meat, since my buck would be one of the last goats I would ever want to tangle with, much less put on the table. He does have a very nice set of perfectly matched horns though. That was my first thought, until I heard about the people wanting goat testicles for medicine! Yuck! Lots of sick folks in this world!

Something else I just thought of. Several years ago there were cattle, horse and other animals mutilated not too far from here. I wonder if it is all connected? Maybe they were collecting parts for medicines for some cult?

4. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

Hooray for your goat! What an awesome critter! He gets a virtual ice-cream cone from me. :goodjob:

I haven't heard of anybody using goat testicles for any kind of medicines, but it's sure something to keep my eyes open for.

5. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

I've not heard of any goat rustling in these parts, but a couple of years back, we had some bonifide cattle rustlers stealing cattle all over the place round here. The Austin news channel interviewed some local ranchers who said outright that they would shoot to kill anyone who they found cattle rustling on their places and they still considered it a hanging offense. The cattle rustlers moved on i guess cause it stopped after that. I would think the same rules would apply to goat rustlers. Fortunately for me, I have dogs that would not let goat rustling occur. I am glad your buck held his own....Diane

6. Tarot Farm

I used to have a Great Pyrenees, but he was poisoned. I consider that a reason for stringing them up too! :grit:

I would like to have seen them person try to get my buck! That must have been a real sight! A sure winner for funniest videos! :clap:

I am just glad he is agressive; not to me though. :happy:

Last night the Beagles had a fit over something outside bothering the goats and we could never find out what it was. About three AM, I went out into the 'fog' and seen something big run across the road...never did figure out what that was. Too big for a coyote or dog; big and dark....four footed though...not a deer either.

With my luck, I told my DH it was probably a Chupacabra(sp?) (goatsucker)

7. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

they say goat balls increse your sex drive back in the 20, a doctor was going as far to transplant them into humans it was said to keep you younger longer

now thats sick

8. JoyKelley

JoyKelley Well-Known Member

Wonder if the patient recovered, did he feel baaaaa baaaaaad

9. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

well i got a laugh out of that

1920 the surgery cost 750 dollors a lot of money back then

10. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Well-Known Member Supporter

I can tell you that goat theft is a very real problem around me. Little pygmy goats would probably #1, with Boars being #2. Know people who've given up goats because of the theft problem.

11. leaping leon

leaping leon Well-Known Member

TexCountryWoman, I wonder if the rustlers in your area didn't "move" but were victims of what another poster called the "S.S.S." manuever: shoot, shovel and shut up!

12. ilikefathorses

ilikefathorses My Horse Really Is Fat

Where do y'all live that you have such a problem? I live in Utah, an nobody's ever tried to steal my goats. (I guess that's cause the attitude towards goats in Utah isn't all that rosy). I'm glad your goat didn't get stolen.

13. dbarjacres

dbarjacres Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm sorry someone is messing with your animals! I feel very bad that you have that concern. Get another big dog or a good guard donkey (a true guard donk would protect the herd and know it's "odd" some stranger is in the pasture at night or they'll at least bray and scare the he!! out of someone!)

We are in Wisconsin and I have had good luck here, altho we do wonder when our goaties are in the summer pasture along the road, with our fainters, boers and mini donkeys, someone could make a profit. A boer friend of mine by Green Bay had her friendliest and best boer doeling stolen this spring and another gal I know had strange car sightings by her house for a few days last year and then 2 days later her stallion was dead - poisened - and 2 more very sick, they are in eastern WI where there's more people.

Scary stuff and some damn sickos out there.

14. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

Haven't seen anybody. Haven't heard anything. Haven't seen anything out of the ordinary. Nope, don't know nothin. *said with a perfectly straight face (it might take some practice)*