Steak On The Way

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by 65284, Jul 4, 2006.

1. 65284

65284 Well-Known Member Supporter

I took a 3yo long leg Dexter steer to the processor yesterday. I probably put too much finish on him, he weighed in at 1070 pounds. I can already taste those T-bones.

2. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

Well I think you might get some good eating..

3. idontno

idontno Well-Known Member

3 yrs old steer......Hm.. :shrug: ..idontno

4. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

Somewhat my reaction also. Three-year old steer weighing only 1070 pounds isn't going to produce many prime cuts to begin with and they may not be all that tender. My recommendation would be to use slow cooking methods.

5. 65284

Well, it was a Dexter, that's about as big as they get. Odd story about that steer, he was sold as a yearling to a fellow who wanted to use him as 1/2 of an oxen team. I tried, but couldn't convince him he needed to start with a much younger animal. He made a healty deposit on the steer and as part of the purchase price I was was to keep him for 6 months while the buyer "got his place ready for livestock". He never came back and I was never able to contact him, he seems to have vanished. I finally decided I had to do something with the animal, so off the the processor he went. Most of him is going into hamburger, I too suspect he will be a bit "chewy".

6. Oxankle

Oxankle Well-Known Member

I see no reason why a fat and heavy 3 year old steer should be bad eating. Until refrigeration it was common to hold steers on grass until they were three years old, them send them grass-fat to market. Certainly he should make good hamburger. At 1070 pounds he is probably pretty fat, but even so the ribeyes and T-bones should be of an acceptable size.

I'd be interested in hearing how this turns out. Packers prefer a carcass that falls between 650 and 800 pounds I believe, and this one will fall somewhere in there, perhaps a little light but fat.

7. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

There is always the crockpot and meatloaf.

8. 65284

Here's the beef, I brought it home yesterday; he hung # 645 on the rail. We had T-bone steak for supper along with mashed taters & gravy, fresh corn on the cob, sliced tomatoes, and apricot cobbler for dessert. It had excellent flavor, not tough like I feared it might be, and an adequate portion, since we have the steaks cut thicker to compensate for the smaller size. All things considered we are very pleased with how well this has turned out.