Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has been 6 months now with our 2 female goats. I bought them from a 4H girl and they were already a year old. They were bottle babies and are super friendly. I maintain there hooves fairly well, I am getting better at it as the first time was a learning experience. I gave them the CV Tetenous shot and booster as they needed it. They were dewormed when I got them and I am very hesitant to deworm them again as they seem super healthy. I will most likely take a stool sample to the Vet for a test after the New Year. Other than that just having loose minerals and baking soda out free choice, taking care of them has been easy. They free range mostly for food, with the exception of grain to supplement on days when they are not allowed out for extended periods. What I have been doing seems to be working great as they are super healthy looking.

** I typically give them a bath outside once every two weeks. Now that its to cold to do that any tips on what you do or use to bath them in the winter? For the past few weeks I have just been giving them a good brushing.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
12,837 Posts
The only thing I would suggest is not using grain to supplement on days they can't forage - I would use hay for sure. Grain is something you want to feed in a steady manner, not suddenly on some days vs others.

The only time I bathe my goats is occassionally if I have time before I clip them in the spring - I clip for my website pictures and before linear appraisal. Otherwise, I would not really ever bathe them unless there was a reason to do so. I would NOT NOT NOT bathe them through the winter.

So glad you're enjoying them. They are such good creatures. :)

Reactions: dozedotz

·
STILL not Alice
19,808 Posts
Hm. Only time I've ever cleaned up the goats with soap and water was... uh... I think maybe once I washed Beaux Ty, and I've given the girls a sponge bath if they were really sticky after kidding out.

Is there a reason you bathe your goats, Pirri? If you want them freshened up a bit, brushing would probably be just fine to get you through the Winter months.

Agree with Dona that hay should be more than enough for them on non-forage days. If they're lactating or pregnant, then some concentrates are good, but hay is most important.

Love your pic! :)

·
Registered
585 Posts
Gosh, we never wash our goats at all, even with sponges, or clip them, LOL. Once in a while a brushing but not very often. They're not very dirty and their fur doesn't get tangled.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Yeah, don't give them a bath in the winter. They don't really need baths at all. I almost never bathe mine, even when I take them to a show. LOL. But that's the only time I would do it.

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
We don't have dirty goats either...the only time I have ever bathed a goat was at the fair.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
I give my buck a bath as he's shedding out after Rutt in the spring. He loves it and thinks he's getting a wonderful massage. But it's just to make sure there is no leftover oils or smell from the rutt in his skin. He's super friendly and loves to hang out so having him be not stinky is a positive thing.

But otherwise? I'd be too worried about making itchy goats if I used soap on them too often.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Just want to add that I love your photo! Beautiful and very CLEAN child, goat and duck!! We do not bathe our goats at all, but we do clean out their paddock EVERY single day...except Sunday. Many, many people think we are excessive. BUT goats usually walk and walk away from their droppings and do not live in them like pigeons!! LOL.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Oh, you probably aren't hurting them any, just not necessary. However, you should video tape it. LOL. I want to see everybody's reaction. My goats hate water, but if you did it that regularly, they probably get used to it.

·
Premium Member
3,681 Posts
Both your kids are adorable! Pretty picture.

It is a learning curve isn't it? You worry about everything and stare at them for too long in the beginning. Then it all mellows out : )

I only worm my goats if I think they need it myself. I've only had goats for a few years though. And although I have never bathed any of my goats...they seem to be very clean all the time. I did have a bottle calf once and anytime he would lie down in manure and have a stain on his coat I would let it dry and brush him good and then spot shampoo the area if it wasn't spotless : ) He never minded the fuss and was a gleaming white and tan boy when he went to the auction later on! I guess animals can learn to accept a lot.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts