We have been going round and round the last year about the best course of action for us. Would you stay at a place (16 acres) that you owe a 30yr mortgage on (we are in our early 30's) but is close to town or sell and move to an isolated area where we could pay cash for probably more acreage. Either place we would have to build a house. Where we live now has very strict building codes and building here is going to be very frustrating to deal with our building department. In the end though we would have land/house worth a lot of money. Since we bought a foreclosed on property and have fixed all its building code problems ourselves it would be worth more money then we could ever hope to buy or own again. It is why we could sell it and take all our equity and buy something outright. For staying is the fact that we do live close to an area where my husband can make a good living and my children have easy access to classes and sports (we homeschool). A friend also has told me that if we move to an isolated area all my children will leave me. She grew up on 100 rural acres and couldn't wait to leave (she didn't have any siblings though and was very lonely). Staying though hardly means all my children won't leave me anyways someday. We have 3 girls, so far. For selling and moving is the fact that my husband wouldn't have to work so much for other people because we wouldn't have the bills that we currently have. We would still have expenses though. The biggest probably being health insurance. He currently has 3 jobs and works an average of 6 days a week. Making it very hard to build our own house. I also like the security feeling of actually owning everything we have, including our land and home. I also would like more land. I'm for selling and moving. My husband is for staying where we are. Obviously we both have to agree. It's why we've been talking about it for the last year. I guess we could always sell and don't have to do it now but it seems like the best time, before we start the house. Staying and not building is not an option. Right now we are living in a yurt (pacific yurt). Thanks for your thoughts.