Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Something interesting I stumbled across.

The state of doctor refusals

Physicians anywhere can deny you care. But some states back up M.D.s with specific laws allowing them to do so, says Elizabeth Nash, public policy associate at the Guttmacher Institute research group. Whose side is your state on?

States that allow doctors to refuse care

Contraception
AR, CO, FL, IL, ME, MS, TN, WA

Abortion
Every state has a law except AL, NH, VT, WV.

Sterilization
AR, GA, ID, IL, KS, KY, MD, MA, MS, MT, NJ, PA, RI, WA, WV, WI

States that allow hospitals to refuse care

Contraception
All hospitals
IL, MS, WA
Private hospitals only
AR, CO, ME, MA, NJ, TN

Abortion
All hospitals
AZ, AR, CO, DE, FL, GA, HI, ID, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MS, MO, NE, NM, NC, ND, OH, SD, TN, VA, WA, WI
Private hospitals only
AK, IL, IN, IA, MN, MT, NV, NJ, OK, OR, PA, SC, TX, UT, WY
Religious hospitals only
CA

Sterilization
All hospitals
AR, GA, ID, IL, KS, MD, MS, NM, WA, WV, WI
Private hospitals only
MA, MT, NJ, PA

States considering new laws

Lawmakers in Missouri, Rhode Island, South Carolina and Vermont are considering sweeping bills that would allow medical professionals to refuse to provide any service they object to.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19190916/wid/11915773?GT1=10109

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I think doctors and private hospitals should be allowed to choose what they will treat, as long as it is not life threatening emergency stuff.

We can not find a pediatrician - none will accept us since we do not do all the vaccinations. We use a GP, who is a Christian, and who does not vaccinate his children, either.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
That is getting one that thinks you shouldn't live to start with.
I went into a hospital with double walking pnemonia. Filled out a paper that asked if I used achohol. Yes about 4 or 5 a night.
I was an alcoholic and didn't deserve to live in his eyes.
He nearly killed me. Very close. After 6 days in his care anouther doctor seen me on my sisters screaming request. Dr. Hickson Jr. went on vacation withing two hours,, I was flown to the University of Va., where in 4 hours, I was setting up reading a paper.
I thought I had been in the hospital for one day he had me drugged so bad, waiting for me to die from pnemonia.
If it hadn't been for my sister knowing things about pnemonia because she had it a couple of times before, he would have let me die and gotten away with it.
As it was, I lived and he still got away with trying to let me die because of technacalities.
Go figure.

·
Premium Member
7,230 Posts
I think we betray the trust of patient-doctor if the patient thinks we will consider all appropriate care legally available when that isn't true- that a doctor's beliefs will color their advice and care to that not considered standard of care by doctors as a whole.

As an example I would be very remiss should I tell a mother of a malformed fetus that it is dead or will die soon and so they should get a D&C (emptying of uterus like an abortion) just because I do not believe it is fair to such a fetus to let it be born or I disapprove of trying to save such a damaged baby. Better I am open about my biases open about what I know and believe from my training and then provide them any legal care or refer them elsewhere if they request this and especialy if I feel I do not know all the answers (ie up to date info on survival and health of such babies).

I also think it is sad and bad for women's health if a woman can not obtain reproductive care including sterilization and abortion without travelling several hours.

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
Jenn--in the situation you describe--provided you don't have some HMO limiting you to 10 minute visits--I'd describe the likely consequences of each path--if you bear the child, the following is likely to happen. Here is the survival likelyhood. Here is the quality of life likelyhood. If you choose not to, here is the technology available to terminate and the likely consequences. Discuss this with your family and in light of your spiritual beliefs and let me know what you want to do. Then if they ask what I'd do, I'd say, 'for myself, this, but I'm not you.'

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
suburbanite said:
Jenn--in the situation you describe--provided you don't have some HMO limiting you to 10 minute visits--I'd describe the likely consequences of each path--if you bear the child, the following is likely to happen. Here is the survival likelyhood. Here is the quality of life likelyhood. If you choose not to, here is the technology available to terminate and the likely consequences. Discuss this with your family and in light of your spiritual beliefs and let me know what you want to do. Then if they ask what I'd do, I'd say, 'for myself, this, but I'm not you.'
IMO that is exactly the right way to handle it. :)

·
Enjoying Four Seasons
3,107 Posts
Ah..yes...the "Live Free or Die' state. No...doctors/hospitals should not be able to decide what they treat. Not a good idea to get on the slippery slope of deciding what is in the best interest of 'the folks'. :nono:

·
Keeping the Dream Alive
1,270 Posts
suburbanite said:
I agree. An approach that allows for personal decision, without condemnation.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Beltane said:
Ah..yes...the "Live Free or Die' state. No...doctors/hospitals should not be able to decide what they treat. Not a good idea to get on the slippery slope of deciding what is in the best interest of 'the folks'. :nono:

Hm...I agree with this statement. I do not want doctors in charge of deciding what is best for me. However..I don't think doctors should have to violate their own morals or consciences, either. If a doctor has a religious objection to birth control or abortion they should not have to provide it. That is not about the patient, but the doctor. Life is so complicated these days...

·
proud to be pro-choice
2,691 Posts
Beltane said:
It is the almighty dollar - who can or cannot pay for a given procedure and if a medical state is profitable (private vegetative care facility vs. public). Sterilization and/or abortion means lower supply of a profitable commodity, aka healthy babies. Ever notice that wealthy people who marry in their 40s and can't conceive spend very little time on a waiting list for a baby? Just look at the public figures who have adopted domestically.
If a doctor wants to let his personal views interfere with his job, he should find another job. I'd get fired for saying X against my belief (religious or otherwise). This holier-than-thou attitude can be mitigated if there are others on staff to provide the medical procedure/service. It is when there is not I have issues.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts