State to State Moving Companies

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by perennial, Mar 30, 2005.

1. perennial

perennial Well-Known Member

Do you recommend any in particular?

thanks,

brural

2. Mandy

Mandy Well-Known Member

Yes, move yourself. I work in the storage and truck business, we rent Penske trucks, and we have heard nightmare stories of state to state moves with moving companies. So I would recommend doing it yourself.

Mandy

3. That is a tricky question. It's not so much about the company itself but what driver you happen to get. The driver of the truck is usually the one who loads your furniture up on his truck. There are good drivers who know how to load a truck to keep your funiture safe. If you have a item damaged you can file a claim and receive reinbursement for that item. If you load and transport it yourself you are the one responsible for any damage and most people don't know how to load furniture to keep from getting scratches, gouges, and scuffs. Plus most people don't know just how to load a trailer and be able to get everything you own in it. Professional drivers have a lot of tricks up their sleeves. Ask for a driver with several years experience.

How do I know this? My dad drove for American Van lines for 14 years and Wheaton Van lines for 16 years. I spent a lot of my childhood summers traveling with him and helping out.

4. perennial

thanks for your answers.

Doing it ourselves it NOT an option. With a full size house, family, basement and shed we need an 18 wheeler. We are going to leave all junky furniture
    behind and only take the best, so it needs to be packed and loaded as rh said.
    Most everything i will pack will be in bins. Renting a truck ourselves will be very expensive in the end because we will have to make so many trips, gas and sanity.

My realtor mentioned mayflower moving company as one she has seen a lot of
    places around the country.

Thanks for your input. I have lots to research with regards to this.

5. Jeslik

Jeslik Well-Known Member

Brural -
    I've moved both ways; both professional and do-it-yourself, and the truth is, either way, you're gonna end up with damage. I've seen this quote somewhere "three moves is as good as a fire"... and boy is it ever true. Keep in mind that while theoretically the Pro's provide damage insurance, damage claims aren't too easy to resolve.

That said, if you have as much as you claim, and you can't winnow it down to the "essentials" then yeah, pro is the way to go. We've used United and Allied before, but its been a while. After 10 years since the last cross-country move, I think I'm down to a 28 rental, and I'm still trying to get rid of stuff.

6. JackieA

JackieA Well-Known Member

My friends who moved to Florida from Oklahoma last year used a POD. It a bit more than renting a Uhaul+gas - but it all got there safe w/nothing broken and they had tons of stuff and way less stress.
    Company drops of the pod/container at your place and gives you so many days to load it, then they come back and pick it up with a special machine onto their truck and then it gets hauled to a storage in the town/city near your new residence - it which they will keep there for so long (w/o a storage charge)before dropping off at your new place in which you have so many days to unload it. You do get to decide the drop off date at the new place I believe.
    www.pods.com
    JackieA

7. Old Jack

Old Jack Truth Seeker

I moved cross country last year. I bought a 40 ft used cargo container for $1200.00 packed it myself and had it trucked for $2900.00. I could unload it at my pace and now have an extra building. The best quote I got from a mover was 8k and they said that there could be charges on the other end.

8. JackieA

My friends paid about $3,200 for the pod...but it was a medium 2 bedroom house of stuff. Thank the Lord they did decide to get a POD because they got to Melbourne, Fl Sep 2? and the hurricanes hit the next day and there would be no way they would have been able to unload everything (& into their mobile home)...a few days later the hurricanes got so bad they couldn't stay at their new place and had to stay with friends for 10 days (boarded windows and all) and their stuff was in a pod in a storage warehouse until all the craziness subsided.
    JackieA

9. MichelleB

MichelleB Well-Known Member

Professional movers are notorious for presenting hidden costs. I had a bunch of stuff shipped up from California--Mom negotiated the deal from her end. When the movers got here, prior to unloading they said, "And there is an extra fee (about a grand) that needs to be paid prior to offloading, will you sign here?"

I refused, called my Mom, who called the agent with the company. After about five minutes or so of what I'm sure was "Don't you DARE try to pull one over on a little old widow and her darling daughter," the agent called the driver and gave the all-clear.

For what it's worth, the driver and his assistant were very polite, and did a fantastic job helping set up furniture, tables, etcetera. Not a scratch anywhere. I strongly believe the drivers are only acting on "company policy".

We were prepared for this because we knew of several folks using various companies who were forced through these hoops. Make sure you get everything in writing, including quotes, manifests and such, and make it very clear that you don't want any surprises at your destination.

That being said, each time I've used movers (locally or interstate) I've tipped the crew, and had hot coffee and snacks ready for them when they arrived.

M

10. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

Ask the mover for references from past cients also what there responsibilities are for loading, As some use LUMPERS and that is a very dirty word as its unskilled labor who could care less about your house and the contents.

11. Yes, there maybe cost at both ends. I wouldn't say they are hidden unless you fail to read the contract. I know the first thing that happens after you make arrangements with a moving agent is that they come out on the designated day and pack up your stuff. They break down certain furniture and place in cartons. They wrap all your kitchen ware in paper and place in cartons. They place all your clothing and linen in cartons. They get everything ready for the driver to load when he arrives. Then when the driver arrives he may break down other items so it will take up less room and better able to pack. He gets paid by the number of pounds he hauls not by how much room it takes up. The more poundage he hauls at one time the better money he is making. Therefore it is not unusual for a driver to haul 3 to 6 families at a time. Then when your furniture arrives at the other end the driver will unload everything and if you choose, the agent in that area will unpack everything for you. So agent 1 at the start of the trip gets paid. The driver gets paid. Agent 2 at the other end of gets paid.(if you choose) They do all the work for you. Of coarse if you've got plenty of time with nothing else to do and no time period to do it in, then you could do all that packing,moving, and unpacking yourself.

12. Forgot to add. All re-embursement for damages comes out of the drivers pocket. Therefore he does have to keep a close eye out for how his temporary hired helpers work for him. Most helpers are hired through the agent and are usually good at there work. My dad had a list of names to call on. When he would be intering a certain city/town he would call up helpers that have worked for him before and make arrangements for their help.

13. caballoviejo

caballoviejo Well-Known Member

I've always moved myself. Relatives' experience is that once your possesions have been loaded you are at the mercy of the movers. Don't like extra charges? Tough, you don't get your goods. It's days after truck was supposed to arrive?
    Tough - what are you gonna do about it, fuss?

14. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

We hired professionals to come pack our Uhaul. I think it cost about $250.00 and they did an excellent job.
    Driving the uhaul was torture, though.
    A combination of professional packers and PODS would have been the best, but at the time PODS had limited availability in some areas.

15. perennial

Thanks for all the info. I called pods and they don't have a location
    anywhere near our destination so that is not an option.

The mover is coming monday to look at what we have and give a quote on
    what we actually have in the house. Because on-line quotes are misleading
    in that if you list your house as a 4 bedroom they are quoting you on that. We don't have alot of furniture. That went out 2 weeks ago. Anything junky or not
    "worth" paying to move went out - neighbors were excited!

I called the Mayflower movers with an office close to us. I may also call another firm and get a quote.

I know either way hubby is going to have a stroke when he sees the $$ amount.

The tricky part is that we are moving to a very rural place so it's not like we can get rid of everything here and expect to get it there.

I tried suggesting renting two the biggest uhaul or penske trucks we could drive and pay his brother (he is out of work now so it would be a nice job for him) something and drive it down ourselves. I think i might even get a quote for that so we can compare the cost with movers after he faints.

Thanks again,

16. Old Jack

Old Jack Truth Seeker

You should seriously look into buying your own cargo container, it's inexpensive and safer (your own locks not the moving co's) and you get a 8 1/2 x8 1/2 x 40 '
    all steel building afterwards

17. JackieA

Where do you buy cargo containers?
    JackieA

18. Old Jack

Old Jack Truth Seeker

I just did a Google search and found a place nearby where I was moving from.

19. BeckyW

BeckyW Well-Known Member

Like Mandy, I also am in the truck rental business (Budget Trucks). A couple of thoughts: if you can drive and there aren't health issues here, consider having a moving company load and unload your truck with you driving a rental truck. There are movers who rent out there crews if they don't have their own jobs that require them all. They are fast and efficient.

I'm sure Mandy would agree, use either Budget or Penske trucks - our equipment is so much more reliable, customer service so much better and our reservations are guaranteed unlike our well-known competitor. You won't regret the experience.

Where to find reliable moving companies. Skip the phone book. Some of your best advice is going to come from your local Budget and Penske dealers. We have tons of movers in our area - there are only 2 that I recommend to people. Both are small companies (one an independent and the other a small network of franchises) - they are honest, their work is reliable and their rates extremely competitive - and no hidden fees. I think every truck rental dealer can give you the names of companies they work with and trust. And those companies can often get rates a bit better from the dealer than the consumer can. Those same small movers will do the whole job with their or a rented one-way truck at a rate you'll be happy with too.

Good luck with your move.

20. hindmar

hindmar New Member