State may pass the shooting of ferral cats.

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by r.h. in okla., Apr 13, 2005.

1. Not sure which state the news was talking about but they are haveing a controversy over the roaming of ferral cats. Trying to pass a law that ferral cats running loose can be shot and killed cause they are depleteing the song birds and small game animals.

If they pass the law I hope Oklahoma follows suit cause we have the same problem around here. My neighbor just up the road from me has something like 15 cats that she lets run loose all the time. I know that between her cats and large population of coyotes around here the small animals don't have much of a chance for survival and that probably why I don't see very many rabbits and quails anymore.

2. SouthernThunder

SouthernThunder Well-Known Member

It was Wisconsin but it doesn't look like it will pass. They say the only two states that have the law are South Dakota and Minnesota. If it passes in Oklahoma expect the price of Chinese food to spike for a while.

3. pjd

pjd Well-Known Member

I'm confused, Is it illegal to shoot cats in Oklahoma?Is the law to make it legal to shoot them or illegal to shoot them? I thought the same rules applied to stray cats as to stray dogs.

4. Hoop

Hoop Well-Known Member

The shooting of feral cats in Wisconsin may or may not pass.

The person that brought up the proposal has received numerous death threats.

Its not like there would be an official "hunting season" on feral cats. It would however, allow someone to legally kill a feral cat. Currently, it is illegal to do so.

Hunters passed the proposal in DNR hearings throughout the state by a 2 to 1 margin, which in most instances, means its a done deal. However, hunters in Wisconsin are facing an "image crisis". 2 years ago, they made it legal to hunt mourning doves in the state. Most Wisconsinites regard the "bird of peace" as a curiousity, and can't imagine why anyone would want to shoot one. Hunters themselves could care less about their image, but this sort of thing makes politicians edgy.

Opponents of the shooting of feral cats claim "innocent" cats may be shot. Proponents claim it will provide legal protection to those wanting to eliminate feral cats.

Stay tuned.

5. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

UUUUMMMMM!!!! CATS!!!! Do they taste like chicken??

mikell

6. SouthernThunder

SouthernThunder Well-Known Member

7. momlaffsalot

momlaffsalot Well-Known Member

I have a feral cat that keeps digging in my garden. Once he jumped in an open window of my van at night, and sprayed. I would shoot him if I could, legal or not.

8. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Here you can't even shoot the dog that is after your chickens. If you call animal control because of a stray dog they charge you 35$ to come out. Can't discharge a firearm in town. I won't try to poison anything. So......

9. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Well-Known Member

It used to be that you could kill them in wyoming. Maybe stilll is, we just harvest small game. No cats to compete. So I guess it works. shadowwalker

10. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

Thank you! Being in Minnesota, I've never ever understood the controversy on this issue. Stray critters that are causing problems are shot around here, and that is how it should be. Couldn't understand how this law was such a big thing, did not know there was any other way. How do the other 48 states control their critter issues??????

Me, I have a small clan of somewhat ferral cats in the barn, they are my critter control dept. Several of them are real good friends of mine. Nonetheless, if they stray off my farm & don't come back, that is how it is, I can't get mad at the fellow with the smoking gun who didn't want them on his property.

Life. How it is.

--->Paul

11. caballoviejo

caballoviejo Well-Known Member

12. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

More like rabbit as I understand it, and they make great fox or coyote bait fresh or well rotted.

13. infiniterider

infiniterider New Member

I love when self proclaimed christians start tossing around the idea of taking lives. It's so typical of christian ideals. I guess that's why I'm a Buddhist.

Hey, here's an idea, lets make it legal to shoot irresponsible pet owners that don't spay or neuter their pets and have caused all of this misery. Oh wait, that's right, Buddhists believe that all life is valuable.

I'm done with you people and this site.

14. John_in_Houston

John_in_Houston Well-Known Member

Maybe a BB gun or Air Rifle would work.

15. Sorry infiniterider, but our God did slay the first animals so that Adam and Eve could have something to wear. He did make all animals for our purpose of use not so that we could one day be reincarnated into a pesky housefly or a _ _ _ _ eating possum.

Why am I typing this, you want be reading this. You just stated your done with this site. :p

16. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

I like cats and actually would appreciate a decreased rabbit population- guess I need MORE feral cats here, all ours are wellfed housecats just fascinated by all the wood pigeons in my trees. However they are definitely a burden on the bird population and anyone who doesn't want them trespassing should be allowed to shoot them in rural areas. (City gardeners have problems with nonferal cats but it might lead to more human murder if say I shot all ten cats seen in my back yard this past month). In some areas- the dunes in Galveston and Pensdacola Beach- they cause near extinction of dune birds who nest on the ground and the government should have a program in such sensitive areas of requiring cats be kept inside and killing those seen in the bird nesting areas. There's a voluntary edu program but it needs more muscle and bullets.

17. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Well-Known Member Supporter

Trap 'em. Conabear and a bucket = dead.

Remember, it's about not drawing attention to yourself. Firing a gun can be illegal because of proximity to neighbors and such, and it draws attention. Then you find someone who wants to charge you under some cruelty law. Just quietly eliminate the feral cat and dispose of it just as quietly. The conabear set above might be illegal as well depending on your laws. Use your discretion.

18. wy0mn

wy0mn Transplanted RedNeck

Still nothing like good old glycerin based antifreeze, raisins, or a steel trap that dumps a critter in a barrel of water.
    glycerin gives heart attacks
    raisins cause kidney malfunctions somehow at least in canids, I'm not kidding. Look it up.
    I used a trap on a hinged board to rid a neighbor of a skunk. Dumped him in a vat of water. It should work well with cats. No meowing, screeching or other ballyhoo.
    glad to lose another troll, probably a gay Vegan too. Oops, did I say that?

19. cricket

cricket Well-Known Member

There are places here where it is illegal to have cats outside of the house, primarily at the beach or around tidal marshes. Usually in those places it's the city which "disposes" of the problem. It's such a well known fact that people have been known to turn cats loose on a property which is in the process of being declared a rookery or something. It's a practice I find disgusting and morally reprehensible but it does go on. Other places it's not really addressed unless you're in the city limits. Then they poison them. People who have cats for pets have learned really fast not to let the little ones outside. Where I live, there are occassional strays but it's only once in a great while. We have enough natural predetors (sp?) to keep the population limited.

20. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

Feral cats are an incredible menace to songbird and small animal populations. By the way I consider any pet house cat running loose to be feral. They should be shot on sight. Even better would be to offer a small bounty for dead ones. The ones with collars and ID would have their owners charged with allowing a pet animal to menace wildlife. Add dogs to that program too.

Infiniterider- don't let the door hit you in the ass. I'll personally kill a feral kitty cat just for you.