Starving Horses

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Unregistered-1427815803, Jun 8, 2004.

1. From cnn.com, this is good news. Too many people buy animals for their 'farm' like they were goldfish or something. Then - big surprise - they find out that keeping horses means hard work and feed bills. 30 days is still not enough time in prison, but it's good to see a judge doing something.

-Jack_Cville

Texas woman gets bread and water for horse cruelty

Tuesday, June 8, 2004 Posted: 1:10 PM EDT (1710 GMT)

HOUSTON, Texas (Reuters) -- A Texas woman convicted of neglecting her two horses will get only bread and water for the first three days of a 30-day jail sentence, a judge said Tuesday.

The Old West-style punishment was fitting for a crime in which Melissa Dawn Sweeney, 28, treated the horses "deplorably," County Court at Law Judge Mike Peters said.

"I used to think back to the time when jail was jail and punishment was punishment, and how they were put in solitary confinement with only bread and water to eat. That was in the back of my mind," he told Reuters.

Sweeney, a former stable worker, was convicted Friday of cruelty to animals for leaving her two horses unfed and unsheltered for four months outside her mobile home in Baytown, Texas, the Houston Chronicle said.

Peters said the horses were more than 200 pounds underweight and in poor health.

"The animals were literally starved," he said. One of them had to be euthanized, while the other recovered under the care of a new owner.

Sweeney testified that she fed the animals and treated them well but said they were in poor condition because they were old.

Peters also required Sweeney to post a photo of the malnourished horses in her jail cell.

"I want her to be forever reminded of what her conduct did to those horses," he said.

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Older horses whom have lost their teeth do appear undernourished at times, 1 34 year old horse whom was fed as best as could be, ground grain, ect., was the cause of an unfounded charge around here last year. When the investigators entered the horses corral they did find more than adequate food available. Yet the owner was cast as a horse abuser, the outsiders that accuse should have some knowledgeable look into the matter before bringing charges. Yes, there are cases that it is justified but a lot are in question once the facts are found.

3. OUVickie

OUVickie Well-Known Member Supporter

Unfortunately that happens here too. People sometimes think that horses will just pasture feed and don't need anything else. You can call the Sheriff's office here and they investigate. The good thing is they don't jump the gun and always consider it cruelty.
    One lady had taken horses off of her ex-husband who was starving them and had only had them a few days.
    Another was an older lady who had a 39 yr old horse! Bless her heart, she was feeding the horse good feed designed for older horses, but the poor thing just couldn't get the nutrition it needed and she didn't have the heart to put it down and I don't blame her.
    What the Sheriff usually does is just give a warning and check back on the horse/horses in a two-week or one month period. Then if a Vet deems it real neglect, the County pays to have the horses fed, sheltered and doctored and then it goes to court. If neglect or abuse is judged then the people pay a huge fine and are give a trial period to see if it happens again. If they voluntarily give up ownership, the county auctions the horses off to the highest bidder.

4. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

i don't think that punishment will stand up. i'm not saying it shouldn't, just that it probably won't. wonder why they don't hand down similar measures for those who starve their kids.

i've seen folks on forums like this one ask why their animals are doing poorly. i've seen more than one instance where the owners were not feeding them enough. one guy even had the vet come out only to tell him he was starving his cattle. he had already lost 2 calves and a cow.

i try not to get angry, as these people are just ignorant and need to get educated. yeah, they should have learned before they got the critter, but at least they are asking. i do get mad though when they refuse to listen. they don't want to pay the bill for feed so they don't want to hear the truth.

horses can get tricky because some people pamper their horses and consider that to be the only way to care for them properly. my horses are in a pasture, no shelter but trees and hills. only grass to eat this time of year. they aren't abused, but those who stable their horses might think so.

someone here had a very thin horse. i don't know the story behind it other than their other horses were in good flesh. i think it is just old. i've seen it out there for over a year now and iy has put on weight, but is still not in great condiyion.

jena

5. I know a woman that got in trouble due to the condition of boarder's horses in her barn. She told the authorities what the situation was but it didn't help. She had bought a stallion that another woman wanted and was rewarded by her by feeding the autorities with misinformation and lies.

6. cloverfarm

cloverfarm Well-Known Member

I think it kind of shocks people how much room and hay a horse needs, and how much manure they generate! DH sells lots of small square hay and straw bales ot horse owners. When they call, I have learned to ask flat out as we are trying to schedule delivery, "Are you out of feed? How many bales do you have?" Sometimes you can hear people shrug and say, "Oh, we ran out a couple of days ago but just now got around to calling ..."
    :rolleyes:
    We found the cheapest part of owning a horse is buying it. The most expensive part was feeding it, followed by meds for older horses. The old ones can definitely be a blessing because of their experience and in many cases calm outlook, but the trade-off is more expensive upkeep and as they age they start to look very rough. We used to own a 23-year-old Thoroughbred mare with Cushings syndrome and the stuff we shoveled into her ... I still can't get over it. Not only meds but senior feed, alfalfa pellets all soaked with warm water and top-dressed with corn oil to cover the taste of her meds. And dairy quality alfalfa hay. And still couldn't keep weight on her! Her pasture-mate was a 23-year-old Arab with literally no teeth left. (Senior feed and alfalfa mush for him, too!)

I don't know why but it seems some people collect horses like they do cats. Especially Arabian horses.

7. tkrabec

tkrabec Well-Known Member

Horses are not too expensive to feed. We have 3 horses, 1 old (20 ish). The horses get grass 24x7, they are fed 2x daily (morning and night) They get 200 lbs of sweet, 4 lbs of pellets an 200 lbs of alfalfa cubes. THe old horse also gets and additional 100 lbs of Senior feed. Between the 3 they eat a bale of hay every 1.5-2 days. I buy all that feed once/month and I but my chicken and goat feed at the same time it costs about $100 for the month, which is not too bad. We feed a total of 3 horses, 11 turkies, 24+ chickens & 2 goats. The 2 dogs cost us about $30/month in feed bills.

-- Tim

8. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Thanks Tim.

9. tkrabec

tkrabec Well-Known Member

I meant to say it costs me Nearly $200/mo for my far critters excluding the dogs. its about 190, I remembered the 90 part but not the 100 on top of that.

-- Tim