Starting with my first goat.

Discussion in 'Goats' started by mrsbernstein, Jan 7, 2005.

1. mrsbernstein

mrsbernstein New Member

Good morning!

I am in heaven reading the message boards. The information is going down in my permanent file!

I have a question. Well, duh, on me, or I wouldn't be posting...

We are in the process of buying a house on between 1/4-1/2 an acre on a hill. I want to have a few chickens and a garden. Do I have room for a goat? Does it have to be fenced in or can it be tethered? I want to have a happy goat, so I want to make sure that I do things correctly.

The purpose of having a goat would be for milk.

Thank you,

Mrs D. Bernstein

2. Lt. Wombat

Lt. Wombat Well-Known Member

Good morning back to you.

First thing: goats are herd animals so if you want a happy goat you must have at least 2.

Are you talking a large dairy breed or a miniature breed?

If you want milk is there a buck nearby for annual breeding?

Do you plan to butcher any males produced or do you have a reliable sales outlet?

1/4 to 1/2 an acre won't support too much after you plop a house down and put in a garden so you'll need a hay source plus a shelter and milking area.

Fencing is a MUST! I'm assuming the area you're moving to is a rural residential area, which means the neighbors will be idiots and not fence their dogs. Tethering a goat is like handcuffing a swimmer.

Hope this helps a bit.

3. Sondra Peterson

Sondra Peterson Well-Known Member

Wombat brought up some very good points for you to consider. Most of all you need 2 goats and YES you have to have a fence do not tether as that is a disaster waiting to happen. Mini breeds would be the ideal goat for you to have. and please don't go to a sale barn , auction, or flea market to get your goats as that is another disaster waiting to happen as most going to auctions are culls or sick. Find a breeder of Nigerian Dwarfs or any of the Mini Breeds in your area. If you need help finding someone will be glad to help you.

4. dale anne

dale anne Well-Known Member

Howdy and welcome to the wonderful world of goats!...I breed Nigerian Dwarfs and will tell you that you will need 2 goats or ya will have a very unhappy goat in the least!....I have tried many fences in my time of trial and have found that a 6 foot cyclone fence is best for me and my heard. I would never ever tether a goat for one they are social heard animals and to tether they would have to be seperated toa point...and unless ya know every plants that surrounds them they might eat something that may make them sick. for milk I would start out with a Nigerian Dwarf unless you are looking for alot of milk. also you must get a buck in order to get milk from yer does....a seperate pen for your buck along side the does would be nice.I would recommend dehorning the buck cause they can cause lots of trouble for you,your houseing,your fencing and dont be fooled thinking a goat cant open a latch!..keep a lock on it as i must do lol....housing can be a simple 3 sided 4 foot shed with a roof made of tin...however you will want to keep this goat shed clear away from the fencing cause they will find a way to get on it and get over the fence.I just had 2 sets twins born in the past 3 days and will tell ya what a joy it is to have friendly goats.you may want to get a young kid and bottle feed it a week or two just so that it adjust to you as part of it's new heard. I raise all my kids by hand the last 2 weeks and have found they are calmer and more accepting to being handled by us funny looking bald upright goats lol....i can do anything to my goats including picking them up and carring them to another pen when needed...taking a temp...no problem they accept whatever i do to them and i believe it's due to being so hands on as they were kids....the first 2 does i got lived in my laundry room the first 2 months of life as they were orphaned and a not so great friend dropped them off in my lap and said iffin ya dont tend to these they will die...thats how i got my start with goats lol....my husband and I bottle fed every 3 hours!....we had to build a pen for them and a shed plus it was a bitter winter that year so we kept them indoors till it warmed up....it was funny to come out fer coffee in the morning and be greeted by 2 goats yelling MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA...lol....well good luck to ya...these folks on here sure will help ya out in yer new adventure...dale anne