Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is only the begiinning of Augusst and I am starting to flag badly. I have so much stuff to do - maintenance/repairs to the buildings before Sept, everything in the garden waiting to be harvested/stored, a ton of seed waiting to be planted, and all the new patches of land waiting to be cleared (although most of those can probably wait until the Autumn) Can't even begin to imagine that in a few months I will be milking and dairying for three goats, and possibly chasing sheep round the fields as well. On top of work, and domestic stuff.

Starting to think maybe I am on a treadmill that is too big for one person. DD is great and helps as much as she can but at the end of the dy she is only 5!

I have worked out a list and am trying to focus on one job at a time and not be overwhelmed by the volume of what isn't done yet but I must confess that at the moment I am struggling.

Is anyone else longing for the Autumn, just for life to slow down a bit?

hoggie

·
Registered
10,860 Posts
I feel that way also. I need to work, but sometimes feel it is an imposition on what needs to be done around here. (Not to say it's what allows me to live this lifestyle)
It gets worse when I look at everything that needs to be done & I want it done yesterday! Now, with all the rain comes the weeds. One more thing to add to my list. :help:

I found that I need to focus on what I can do in one day & that's it. "Work will always wait". Although gardens and animals need attention first. Living alone, sometimes I wish I could clone myself ... Self, this needs doing, then this...

Maybe you need a few hours off to have some fun with your DD, put things in perspective. :)

·
Accidental Farmer
14,837 Posts
I'm having a bit of an issue getting motivated myself----though I did get the compost turned today and the spuds dug....all 10 or so..please, nobody depend on my spud growing skill if the SHTF LOL

·
Premium Member
5,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
LOL - everyone make a note - don't rely on nickieL for spuds. At least that is one job I CAN'T do yet. My spuds got a touch of blight so I can't dig them till September.

hoggie

·
Premium Member
5,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wolf Mom - you may be right some time off would be good. We are due to get a couple fo days away in a couple of weeks - if I get some of this stuff done first LOL.

hoggie

·
Accidental Farmer
14,837 Posts
hmmm... I may be knockin' on ya'lls doors when I get a hunkerin' for mashed taters....

LOL! I was hoping I would not have to buy too many spuds this year, but looks like when they have their winter keepers harvested at the farm, I'm just gonna have to by my 80lb bag again sigh...lol

·
STILL not Alice
19,808 Posts
Totally with you, Hoggie.

I'm feeling punky and worn; got a total of 3 gallons of pickles put up yesterday (started things before work, finished last night when I got home); got another crock of lime pickles soaking in clear water now so I can hopefully get them jarred and processed before I have to leave to be at work by 2; cleared the cucs out of the dehydrator and started a load of green beans; took care of the rabbits, cleaned the poop under the cage (gosh, they're prodigious poopers!); looked at the blush starting on the tomatoes, realized I still have beets and greens to plant, and then I thought

STOP THE INSANITY!!!

So, while I am loathe for Summer to end, I could use a few days to hide out from the world.

Now it's back to the grind. My 15 minutes are up.

Pony!

·
Premium Member
5,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And the worst of it is that I know I should be thankful that the garden has produced well (and I am) and being so busy is really a sign that things are going well but..... a few hours off would be nice "sigh"

In reality it probably wouldn't be so bad - usually our hay gets cut in June but this year we had the driest April on record followed by the wettest July on record so we re only just cutting hay now - just as everything else needs doing

hoggie

·
bunny slave
4,389 Posts
Clear off a place on the bandwagon...me too. My MIL is dealing with a lung cancer prognosis, which is turning our lives upside down at the height of the harvest season, and also when work is absolutely haywire for both me and my DH. Did I mention it's also the height of race season for me and DH (we're triathletes)? I think that's the first thing that's getting tossed for the moment. Races will wait...ten baby turkeys in the basement brooder will not wait.

It's been a great year in the garden, and we've never had more stuff, but it's a challenge to deal with everything, and I've given up on making it look at all nice. Between frantic busyness and the sweltering heat, I am very much looking forward to November...crisp, cool autumn air and cupboards full of canned stuff...doesn't that sound good?

·
Super Moderator
16,514 Posts
My MIL will be moving in with us, and I am helping her with her identity theft problem.

I NEED the outside things to keep me sane, but I cannot keep up with it enough to satisfy me, and it frets me. I had such hopes for this garden, and it is a WONDERFULL garden, but if the cukes are no kept picked they will stop bearing, I have quit picking beans even though that will shut the plants down, and it seems like I am on a real treadmill. The grass and weeds are awfully tall, and the bugs are trying to move in, and and and and.............

I am taking breaks, but there is no break for my mind and so I am not refreshed. Autumn will not solve my problems because most of my problems have to do with my MIL, so I am just trying to enjoy my homestead with out stressing out about the tall grass and the bugs and so forth.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I have to say hearing that I'm not the only one who is over whelmed makes me feel better. I picked a pile of tomatoes this morning, green beans are still waiting to be picked. The problem is picking is only half the problem, it's been so hot and humid here
I really hate standing over a stove heating up the house. Time to start second cut hay, there seems to be quite a few dead trees in the bush that shoud be hauled out,boards that still need to be repalced on the barn etc...huh did i mention how much i like winter...Jaime

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Me too, everyone. It's so hot here I can only take it for about 15 min. and have to come inside and cool off. The a.c. quit in the pickup, so I haven't been doing driving errands until after sundown. I am still battling weeds that grew up while I was sick last month. I go out and weed about 5 or 10 min and have to stop. I am going to invest in a big jug of PREEN for the flower beds for weed seeds, and some of that spray that kills grass in perennial beds. This weeding is too much for me in this heat. Can't afford to buy mulch and the pine needles won't be down for another couple of months.

I do the poultry feeding and watering, they are running the back property right now during the days so they can get some green grass and weeds to eat.

I am very much looking forward to fall, that is when I really get into gear and get things done outside, when it cools down. Fall and winter are the times of year I do the really heavy, hard stuff because it's so much more comfortable to work outside.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts