Starting to get hunting fever!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by r.h. in okla., Apr 12, 2006.

1. Nope, not for deer or turkey.

But squirrels!!! Yep, that's right. Just another month here in Oklahoma and we can start hunting those tasty little rodents. I usually go out a couple of times before it gets too wooly and ticky and try to harvest a few young squirrels for the grill.

This year I'm gonna try to find me a cheap mountain bike and rig it up with a gun rack and do a little road hunting in the game reserves. (No, I'm not gonna be shooting from my bike on the roads.) I'll ride down the roads till I see a squirrel on the side and then quickly pull off, park the bike, and go after him. Then hop back on my bike and off I go. I figure I should be able to cover a lot of territory and fill my bag limit a little easier. Being on a quiet bike I should be able to see and hear them easier. Also, I have a new dog that I hope will turn out to be a good road hunter.

Anyone else hunt like this? (legally that is)

2. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

No, but that reminds me. In one more month, the bluegill will be biting. Sigh.

I have heard that you do not have to scale them if you grill them. Just clean them and drop them on, and remove the skin before you eat.

I thought that I would try that. Cleaning them takes moments but scaling them takes a while.

Ah, spring, glorious spring! :dance:

3. Westwood

Westwood Well-Known Member

Don't have to hunt them here. Just drive down hwy 14 at 55 and they'll jump out in front of you, dart side to side a few times and head directly under a wheel. Roadkill Helper.

4. Dec429

Dec429 Well-Known Member

When we were driving back from MO a couple weekends back, one squirrel actually committed suicide by running into the back wheel of the van!
    Kamikaze Kritters!! :eek:

5. hunter63

hunter63 Well-Known Member

Turkey season starts today in Wi, My season starts next wed.
    I love hunting in the spring, seems like your getting away with something.
    Anyway, always feel better on mon. when something dies over the week end.

6. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

Use to hunt squirrels from canoe quite a bit. One particular creek was great for this. A scoped .22 and a black lab to go retrieve your kill either on land or sea was a deadly combo. A barrel of fun too. A lab in a canoe could be a handful at times however and required your full attention during debarkation and embarkation.

7. Ed in S. AL

Ed in S. AL Well-Known Member

Redfish are running here right now. Caught 4 last week, biggest one was 28 inches. They ate real good. Now if the specks would show up.

8. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

Funny you should mention this r.h. I bought 2 new squirrel guns during the winter that I'm anxious to try: a scoped Beeman .22 cal air rifle that shoots at 1100fps & a scoped Ruger Mod 99 in .22 mag. I'm really looking foward to trying the air rifle. It's a single shot but it's real quiet. I have a friend that has a pecan orchard & some grape vines near Shawnee, & he's ready for my son & I to come out & help him thin out these pesky critters.I'm partial to fried squirrel with mushrooms & onions & fried potatos.My wife makes a squirrel & rabbit/dumplings that is deliscious.

9. Bgak, exactamento on those squirrel dumplins and gravy!

I'm also thinking about getting a new squirrel gun. One that my 11 year old daughter can use. I have in my mind a single shot breakover 410. That way she want have to be a crack shot but feel like one. I bought her a small cricket 22 rifle last year but she still needs skill to hit a squirrel with it. She does good with it for target shooting but when we get out there in the woods that's another story for her.

I have a feeling this next fall I will probably be squirrel hunting more with my kids then deer hunting on my own. But that's a good problem to have.

10. swamp man

swamp man Well-Known Member

Quint,squirrel huntin' from a canoe is my favorite.It's effective,but even if you get skunked,you still spend the day floatin' the river.It's a win/win.

11. Clifford

Clifford Love it, or leave it...

I've got aTurkey tag for Apr 26 here in WI. Can't wait.

Squirrels run rampant here in my woods. Maybe it's the corn I've been feeding them for the past 3 years getting ready for the kids hunting. Sometimes there will be 8 giant greys in the corn. Next early fall, my 9 yr old girl just cannot wait to hunt. She already has a do it yourself taxidermy kit for a squirrel and she is so excited. She's my trapping buddy too. Imagine that........ 7 yr old son is next, and his younger sister and brother are eager as well. Looks like I have planned my 40's and 50's with built in hunting partners... Can you imagine anything better?

12. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

A guy I worked with got his little boy a Remington 870 from the Remington custom shop in .410 with the youth stocks. Didn't cost him much over a stock 870 and was very reasonably priced. A dandy squirrel gun too even for dad. The custom shop even used nice wood for it and made the gun look real sharp when they learned it was for a kid I guess. Might want to look into that