Starting Sweet Potatoes

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Paranoid, Jan 11, 2007.

1. Paranoid

Paranoid Homebrewed Happiness

I remember reading around and trying the various techniques last year, without much success. Finally I just put them in the ground, also no success.

This year I just had an idea, I took the large funnel that I use to pour rice (hole is about 3/4 inch wide) and placed it inside a cup. I filled the cup with water until just halfway up the funnel nipple. Then I put the sweet potato in root side down so it was just getting it's feet wet.

Well it sprouted with a vengeance. I just wanted to share this technique as it worked for me where others didn't. Another common one is skewer the potatoe with toothpicks or somesuch to hold it out of the water, but when I did that it rotted, I'm assuming due to foreign pests invading it through the holes I punched in it.

So, if previous techniques have proven hard for you, give this one a try!

2. circlevranch

circlevranch Well-Known Member

Did you use store bought sweet potatoes? I tried last year to sprout some but nothing happened no luck at all.

3. Paranoid

Paranoid Homebrewed Happiness

yep, store bought.

4. oberhaslikid

oberhaslikid Well-Known Member Supporter

Well my store bought sweet potatos are sprouting right now.I bought these at Thanksgiving.Some are in my basement and some in a drawer in my kitchen.I took the part with all the spouts on it and cut the potato in half. the sprout top I stuck toothpicks in 3/4 of inch up from the cut side The toothpicks help hold it on the rim of the vase and put on top of a vase with water in it so that the 3/4 " in down in the water.The cut side is where the roots will form.Did anyones mom ever try growing an avacodo seed? its kinda like that,Once the roots start then the shoots will leaf out and you can breakoff the shoot once it gets about 4" close to the potato.and place in a small jar of water then the shoot will start to root.And you will have your starts.