Starting Supplies

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by Oceanrose, Apr 30, 2005.

1. Oceanrose

Oceanrose Driftin' Away

I'm still researching breeds here, thanks for all the help! I'll be visiting some local flocks in the next couple weeks.

I have the area, and a south facing shed 6X12 so I'm not concerned about that. But, what has me stumped is just feeding. I'm a bit anal on it.

Obviously they'll have grass to eat, and I know they need a good sheep (not goat/cow/horse) mineral mix and salt. What else? I'll probably be getting just weaned lambs. Alfalfa hay? Pellets? sheep food?? Anything they should NOT have (besides copper?) how much? I'll obviously be asking the people who I'm visiting this too, but I'd like more opinions.

Heather

2. animal_kingdom

animal_kingdom Well-Known Member

You'll want vaccinations. Here where I live we only do CDT. With that you'll need some needles and syringes. I use 1/2 inch 22 guage needles.

hoof trimmers

if they have plenty of grass and weeds, you might not need much grain. If they aren't weened, you'll need milk/milk replacer.

Maybe you could let us know what kind of sheep you are considering and that could narrow the needs list.

3. Oceanrose

Oceanrose Driftin' Away

All will be coming from reputable breeders, who do vaccines all tests etc though I'll follow through on the schedule. And of course all will be wormed when they get here.

Right now I'm looking at getting 2 shetland wethers (late June timeframe), a romney wether, and a CVM/Romeldale wether. The Romney and Romeldale would be arriving first, if I do decide on those 2. All will be weaned, though the Romeldale was a bottle baby originally.

I know there are shearers near me, though I'm tempted to do that myself. I've done a lot of dog grooming, and I'm comfortable handling animals. More comfortable generally handling my own than having someone else handle them..

These guys will be pets, and will be handled a lot. Matter of fact, has anyone ever tried clicker training sheep?

Heather

4. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I use loose salt not blocks, and don't mix it with the minerals. I prefer 1 inch 20 guage needles as I use a lot of Vitamin AD which really needs an 18 guage needle to inject easily. There's a couple of posts on the sheep board with lists of meds etc. (although new thoughts are always welcome!) You'll need hay storage in Iowa and feeders I'd think. Automatic water troughs make life easier too.