starting seed problem

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by caticon, Apr 2, 2006.

1. caticon

caticon Member

I started some flats of seeds mostly tomatoes & peppers. Now some of the leaves are tuning yellow & dying The look healthy other than that. I have ferilized with fish emulsion. Thy are between 3-6 in tall. Any one know what is wrong????

2. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

Are the dying leaves the first two leaves to grow on the plant? If so, that's normal. They're called cotyledons, commonly known as seed leaves. Monocots have one leaf and dicots have two. If this is what's dying it's ok.

If it's not the seed leaves that are dying it could be the fish emulsion burning the leaves.

Are you watering evenly?

3. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

Leaves turning yellow can indicate too much water. And if they are six inches tall they need a grow light, not a flourescent.

4. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

They are probably deficient in something, fish emulsion is not going to provide everying, and if your growing medium contains no nutrients, like many seed starters do, they may need something else. Try some compost tea or something.

5. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

epsom salt maybe? for magnesium?

6. amwitched

amwitched Well-Known Member

I water my seedlings with a diluted solution of liquid seaweed. It helps the root system develop nice and strong. Fish emulsion is nitrogen, which on down the line will help the leaf growth of the plants.

7. Country Doula

Country Doula Member

I have a couple flats of several vegetable types, including peppers, tomatoes, herbs, lettuce, etc. I only recently transplanted a few of the peppers to larger containers so they are about 2 inches tall. One of the pepper plant's seed leaves have turned slightly yellow on the tips. Also, a couple other pepper plants have actually shriveled, but are not yet dead. Would anyone be willing to tell me what/if supplements need to be added? They are set up underneath flourescent lights and are watered reliably without too much drying in between waterings.

Thanks!

8. NickieL

NickieL Accidental Farmer

how close are they to the lights? I find if I let the plants get TOO close that will damage them/

9. Country Doula

Country Doula Member

They are all sitting about 2.5 to 3 inches from the lights. I don't think it's the lights, because so far, it is only the seed leaves that are yellowing. The effect isn't on everyone plant either. Only on a parsley, pepper, and flower start.

10. tikaani

tikaani Well-Known Member

sounds like too much nitrogen

11. Betho

Betho Well-Known Member

don't the seed leaves always yellow and drop off?

12. Country Doula

Country Doula Member

@ tikaani:

What supplement would you recommend then if it is too much nitrogen?