Starting problems

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by adofus, Jun 17, 2004.

1. adofus

adofus Member

I have a 1989 Honda Accord Lxi that last winter would refuse to start if parked under a certain tree...Odd, yes I know. I put it in the shop after trying to start it for a week to no avail. The shop couldn't find a thing wrong with it. I get it back, works fine. Few months go by, parked in a different spot it's acting up again. Background is: Under the tree was slightly facing uphill, very slight. At the time it was rainy, might have something to with it. When I got it back I began parking elsewhere on a slight decline and had no problem until recently. Now with thunderstorms daily, parked facing downhill, it's beginning to act up. It will turn over no problem, just crank and crank... Sometimes, it starts first try, all is gravy..Others, well...could take ten minutes of trying, or a few tries then wait a day...
    Anyone have any suggestions on what to check or look for? I've checked the distributor and replaced the plugs and plug wires, no water inside.
    Thanks for the help

2. Hogsubie

Hogsubie Well-Known Member

You might try spraying wd-40 in and around the distributor. I had that problem once w/my old honda when I lived in Miami, FL. It was very hot and humid, just after a heavy rainfall, but there was no accumulated water in the distributor. The car wouldn't start. Later after the humidity dropped and things dried up, the car started just fine.

3. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Have someone else turn over the engine while you observe the engine for sparkleak, best done after dark.

4. adofus

adofus Member

Thanks to you both, will give em both a shot