Starting out, have ????'s

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Nik, Mar 2, 2005.

1. Nik

Nik Well-Known Member

We closed on the property and have finally moved in and are now ready to start getting ready for the animals. We have a 3 acre pasture for the cattle that's already fenced and want to have another area for a couple of hogs. I know it's always better to raise at least two so they don't get lonely, but how big of an area am I going to need to fence off? What type of fencing do you recommend? How big of a lean-to should I build for two? If I get some feeder pigs now, how long will it take to get them to slaughter size? It's been a couple of decades since I was around any hogs so I'm sorry if these sound kind of silly. :yeeha:
    Thanks,
    Nik

2. BDB

BDB BDB

You Only Need 30'x30' Give Or Take Pallets Work Good For Makin A Area For Pigs Lasts Awile And When They Tear It Up You Just Burn Em The Pallets Not The Pigs Just Make A Runin In One Of The Corners Enough For Them To Lay Down In And Get Out Of The Sun It Only Takes 5 Or 6 Months To Raise Em To Butcher HOPE This Helps Ya Out Good Luck BDB

3. Wannabee

Wannabee Foggy Dew Farms

I am also brand new at this and would appreciate any replies on the original question.......if we use hog panel's to make the 30'x30' area - will they tear them up, too??

What kind of feed would you need to feed out 2 hogs?

During the 5-6 months do you need to have a vet come out and give shots or anything??

Thanks!

4. Siryet

Siryet In Remembrance

We use cattle panels(Same as hog panels) but at the bottom we run used barn siding so the hogs don't see out of the pen and they can't get their nose in the panels to tear them apart. The barn siding also prevents the small piglets from escaping.

We have t posts every 4' and this has sufficed for the 5 hogs we raised last year, no damage, no breakouts.

We free choice the hogs so they eat when and how much they want to 24/7 so they are never hungry. We also have a few "toys" for them to keep occupied with.

We use the hog feeder and the paddle waterer on a 55 gal drum.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pigs like to be friendly so we alway start humanizing them when we first get them so they will not panic every time we get into the pen and this also makes it easier to get them into a trailer at the end.

5. theresaNZ

theresaNZ Member

Hi, can you please tell me what a hog panel is or a cattel panel for that matter and also what is a paddle waterer? I am thinking it sounds easier than carrying 20 litre buckets sloshing everywhere form out water supply up to where I run the pigs
    cheers T

6. tracydeena

tracydeena Member

We used the 16' hog panels last year and they work great, place t-posts every 6 to 8 feet. What i did do though was take my pick ax and dig a line about 4 inches deep which does not take that long and i set the panels in them. the only times my hogs got out was through the gate, this year I moved the pen and yard and did not dig a line(so far so good)

7. BDB

BDB BDB

hey Bee just get some healthy pigs to start with and you should not need a vet just worm them i use atgard or wazine they say you need to give piglets iron shots if there not raised on dirt mine i raise outside so never had to give em any shots my feeder pigs I free choise feed em give em as much as they want my sows get fed twice a day i feed mine pig feed from local agway and table scraps from the house i get bread and vegatables to give to no doughnuts or greasy stuff though the cattle panels or pig panels you can get from your local ag dealer to good luck guys

8. pigsrus

pigsrus Member

i used just cattle fencing and nailed slabs from local sawmill to bottom row 3 slabs high seemedto work well,only built small shelter about 8x8.