Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on starting my onions from seed this year, I have saved the seeds and am wondering when I should start. I can usually start planting in the garden about the middle of april.
These are Red onions and a Candy variety.
I am just not sure how soon to start them indoors so that they are big enough to plant by april.
Thanks any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
I always start my onions on or around my birthday, January 29th. I have a deep flat about 4 inches deep . You want your onions to make a good root system. I sprinkle the seeds thinly over the surface of the flat and lightly cover. Keep the soil mix damp. As soon as the seeds sprout get them under a good strong light. Do not let the soil completely dry out. I fertilize at 2 weeks and then every 10 days or so with a half strength rapid grow. If the baby onions get tall and floppy trim them a bit with scissors. It is better to cover the onion seeds with real spagnum peat moss . That will keep the onions from damping off .

Linda

·
Premium Member
2,660 Posts
We do the same as emanuel, except as close to the beginning of January as I can manage. I trim them several times to keep them from flopping over. We plan to plant them the beginning of May or so.

About planting these: wash the soil off of the root ball with the hose or in a bucket of water, and only plant what peels off easily. Keep washing and peeling until they're all planted. If you just yank on the plants they'll break off, as their roots are entwined.

As for tomatoes, we sow them the second or third week of March, for planting out the last half of May.

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
Mid-January would be about right for starting onions for you. However, the only results that are guaranteed in the end is that you'll get onions. Onions are difficult to maintain purity without special caging. If you had two varieties, Red and Candy, they would have crossed and your seed would be F1 hybrid. If it's Red Candy, it was an F1 hybrid and you'd be planting F2 seed.

Martin

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
I don't start tomatoes and peppers until the beginning of April. My last frost date is May16. So I guess I would say 6 weeks before last frost date:)
Linda

·
Premium Member
2,180 Posts
Onions are the first seed that I start, usually during the appropriate phase of the moon in January, and they get planted out in April or very early May, depending on the weather. The next thing I start will be peppers, in February.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've started tomatoes as early as January for a May planting. They take some work to harden off properly, but you can plant them deep and get a phenomenal root system with a little care

1 - 9 of 9 Posts