Starting leeks from seed

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by mammabooh, Feb 23, 2005.

1. mammabooh

mammabooh Metal melter Supporter

Have any of you done this? Any tips for me? I have a light in the basement that I can grow them under...is it better to just start them outside? Tell me..tell me!

2. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

mamabooth,
    Absolutely, start your leeks from seed. You'll grow the varieties you like and cheap. I like American Flag or Broad London(I think that's right?).
    Buy fresh seed and plant in starting mix about 1/4" deep. A tray is ideal that is about 3 or 4" deep, aand space them about an inch apart.
    sprinkle some fine peat over the top to help prevent damping off.
    They should germinate in a week or so. Grow under lights that is just a few inches above the tops, and water regularly. When daylights are 14 hours or so, and it's warm enough where you are, and after they get started you can probably keep them outside to continue growing.
    When the plants get to about 6", snip them down the tops to about 4". Let the plants get strong instead of long and spindly. The goal is to get them the diameter size of a pencil and about 6" high before transplanting. Compost well at transplanting and as they grow keep the dirt up against the stalk, but not into the leaf folds. That blanches them beautifully white....yum. Leeks are one of my favorites.

3. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

If you grow a "short season" type (less than 100 days), cut the leek off leaving 1" abovie the root system to grow a new plant.

4. katydidagain

katydidagain Adventuress--Definition 2 Supporter

Make sure you let at least one go to seed; they're biennials. I have volunteers from a planting of American Flag 15 years ago and have shared many transplants with friends and family.

katy